Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

looking for a new sound system, need help from audio experts!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 09:20 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Get the mono amp for the sub alone. Afterwards you can pick up an inexpensive 4chan amp for the rest. You won't need much for the speakers you bought so it will definitely be inexpensive. A trip back to bestbuy will solve that for ya. Most mono amps run a 2 Ohm load which is what you'll want for that sub. Most 4 chan are typically 4 Ohm.

You could run the sub and 2 fronts off a 4 chan amp but you'd need to bridge the rears for the sub and use the fronts for the 2 fronts. But then you're getting into the need for a crossover unless the amp has a built in that allows you to select by channel rather than all channels as well as leaving the rears underpowered.

It's just a whole lot easier and more efficient to go with a seperate 4 chan amp for the components. And after all...2 looks better.

Last edited by MOOK3456; 07-10-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:58 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

i understand
Old 07-10-2010, 10:00 PM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by budders
yeah? Do you think I should get a alpine 1000w amp? Could I use that for the singe sub + the 4 pioneers? Would it be enough power? Or do you think I should do a 500w for the sub and a 500w for the 4 speakers?
The Type R can take alot of wattage - supposedly more watts RMS than it's rated for. I've read were some people run 1000 watt mono amps to it. But speaking from experience from what I've got, 500 watts is plenty. I couldn't imagine running two Type R's in a Mustang... the bass would be unbearable at high volume.

But yeah, get the mono amp for now and shop around for a 4 channel amp like Mook said... Alpine, Pioneer, JL Audio, and Rockford Fosgate are all good brands that I'd check out. Pioneer's digital amps are really small for the power they put out so you might wanna check them out. But do shop around... you'll get better stuff at the same price as if you went out to best buy or the car audio places.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:09 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

thanks bro!! your friggin awesome man.. also. i hear that i should use a amp for my speakers because the head unit amp isnt good enough. my friend said i will get WAY more out of my speakers if i have a seperate amp for it. true? how much of a difference would it make for the sound quality using the aftermarket decks amp or buying a seperate alpine amp make?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 PM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

No prob man... glad I can help a bit. An external amp made all the difference for me. Like I said, before the amp with just the speakers running off the HU, it didn't sound as good as the Mach 460. With the amp, there was no comparison... it was 10x better and better than the 460. When you don't give the speakers enough power at high volume, they tend to distort and sound like crap. In addition, the more bass you give them while they are underpowered, they sound worse/can't handle the bass. My HU's amp was putting out like 25 watts rms to each speaker. With the amp, it's 75 watts rms. It made a huge difference.

The Alpine MRP-F300 amp would go great with those Pioneer speakers. It's got just a bit more RMS power (50 watts) than those speakers are rated for (40 watts)... which is actually a good thing. My amp is rated 15 watts rms higher than the speakers are rated for. You just adjust the gain til you get the max performance the speakers are capable of.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:41 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ayrton02
No prob man... glad I can help a bit. An external amp made all the difference for me. Like I said, before the amp with just the speakers running off the HU, it didn't sound as good as the Mach 460. With the amp, there was no comparison... it was 10x better and better than the 460. When you don't give the speakers enough power at high volume, they tend to distort and sound like crap. In addition, the more bass you give them while they are underpowered, they sound worse/can't handle the bass. My HU's amp was putting out like 25 watts rms to each speaker. With the amp, it's 75 watts rms. It made a huge difference.

The Alpine MRP-F300 amp would go great with those Pioneer speakers. It's got just a bit more RMS power (50 watts) than those speakers are rated for (40 watts)... which is actually a good thing. My amp is rated 15 watts rms higher than the speakers are rated for. You just adjust the gain til you get the max performance the speakers are capable of.

thats allot for my ears broski. ahah. im pretty sure my head unit says it puts out 50w for 4 channels. not sure how much rms that is. whats the difference?

edit: found the rms power "50 watts peak power x 4 channels (20 watts x 4 RMS)"

Last edited by budders; 07-10-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:26 PM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

Yeah, RMS power is what you need to look at when matching speakers and amps. 20 watts RMS is weak when you are driving aftermarket speakers. 50 watts peak power is really weak. Although your speakers are rated at 40 watts rms, their peak power is 240 watts - apiece.. lol. Watts RMS is the constant power that either the amp puts out or the constant power the speakers are able to handle. Most speakers can handle a tad more RMS power from an amp than they are rated for. Peak power is when there are spikes in the intensity of the sound. You really shouldn't pay much attention to peak power, RMS is where it's at. To sum things up, you're gonna wanna get a 4 ch. amp.

Last edited by ayrton02; 07-10-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

what type of 4 chan amp would you recommend? and how much are they about?
Old 07-10-2010, 11:46 PM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

The Alpine MRP-F300 is what I'd get if I had what you've got.

Here it is at Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...0mrp&cp=1&lp=3

Here's where I'd buy it from
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-MRP-F30...8823451&sr=8-1
Old 07-11-2010, 12:02 AM
budders
4th Gear Member

i understand rms i think.. but the speakers i have a 40 rms. that amp says it can do 75rms x4... i dont really wanna overpower my speakers man. i know everybody says that it can take a few more rms, but i wanna keep it just at the level it reccomends. once again im not doing anything crazzy here with my audio, i just want a solid set up (better than stock).

is there anyway you can adjust it on the amp so that Alpine MRP-F300 does 40rms 4 way? thanks

btw thats allot of money for that amp.. i might have to just buy that one online :P

Quick Reply: looking for a new sound system, need help from audio experts!