Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Auxiliary input for 2006 Base V6 stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:18 PM
BroncoTrooper

Default Auxiliary input for 2006 Base V6 stereo

Hello all,

First off, my apologies if I have missed a similar thread elsewhere. I've done some forum/google searching, and can't seem to find what I need.

I'm seeing on my 2006 Base V6 that I have an auxiliary input button, but no physical input for a phone/mp3 player/whatever. Does anyone have any leads on a way to get this working? I don't want an FM Modulator or whatever (like the TripTunes things Ford sells), and would prefer that it looks stock. Are there any ideas out there? Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Also, I would ideally like to be able to run wires and such into where it would normally be located in the center console (like on a newer/nicer model).

Last edited by BroncoTrooper; 06-24-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

how "stock" do you want it? you might be able to find a junkyard special with a radio that has an aux input, but other than that it would cost less to put in a new radio. If you look at my tech thread on installing a double din radio you can see that they can look very close to stock, it is even easier in an 06, I know, I had one.
Best case scenario is that there is an extra input in the back of the radio that all you have to do is plug in the right cord, but the radio might need to be programmed to accept the input, and only a dealer would know how or even care to attempt that.
If you want the stock radio, I would look for a junkyard mustang that has the cord, take the cord and the radio from that one and plug them into yours.
I hope that helps, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 AM
BroncoTrooper

Originally Posted by ticopowell
how "stock" do you want it? you might be able to find a junkyard special with a radio that has an aux input, but other than that it would cost less to put in a new radio. If you look at my tech thread on installing a double din radio you can see that they can look very close to stock, it is even easier in an 06, I know, I had one.
Best case scenario is that there is an extra input in the back of the radio that all you have to do is plug in the right cord, but the radio might need to be programmed to accept the input, and only a dealer would know how or even care to attempt that.
If you want the stock radio, I would look for a junkyard mustang that has the cord, take the cord and the radio from that one and plug them into yours.
I hope that helps, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
That does help, thanks. I was thinking about checking to see if I can use that input on the back, so I think I may go that route. As far as looking stock, I really just don't want cables running everywhere and stuff like that. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:10 PM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

The 2013 has the aux input in the compartment behind the cup holder. Are you sure there isn't one hidden on the 2006?

Edit: Then again, mine isn't base. I've got the premium, which includes the Shaker system.

Last edited by amyhughes; 06-25-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:54 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

the 2013 base has the input as well, the 2006 base didnt have it, but the premium did. The console is fairly easy to remove, and you have to do it to get to the radio anyways, so hiding an aux input wire from your radio to the console will be very easy to do. What i did with my aftermarket stereo was to run the wire to the glove box and I have an ipod in there. It hides all the wires, and if you want to it can be pulled out a few feet so you have room to unplug and plug in any device there. Most companies don't include that wire in their head units(to my knowledge at least), so you will have to buy it separate.
I would recommend doing something like that, get a new HU, buy the little aux cable, and use that to play your music(controlled from the HU), and it will charge stuff as well from the USB connection. If you have an Ipod, it will work great, if you have a bluetooth phone you can usually use that for music and you won't have to worry about any wires at all
What are you planning on listening to music with? phone? ipod? zune(what's that? lol)?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:32 PM
BroncoTrooper

You can see in the compartment in the console where the line in would be located on a higher-end model. I'm going to use it to run my iPhone through for listening to music and such.

A friend and I are going to pull it out and see if we can't get this supposed auxiliary input to work, so we'll see what happens. If nothing else, I can just replace the deck, but I don't really want to. Thanks for the ideas, everybody!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Tommy_gun

Do you have the shaker 500? Ive got an 05 gt with this problem. I did some research and found this online:

http://enfigcarstereo.com/FORD_CAN_MLINK2.html

Ordered one, just waiting for it to be delivered.