Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

06 PAC C2R-FRD1 wiring harness help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:55 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan02gt
I'll check it out this weekend and let you know what I find out.
thanks.getting the higher up to listen that there might be a problem is like pulling teeth, so i need all the info i can get.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:14 PM
mnemonic

Angry OMG this is driving me NUTS!

I have been dealing with this, over my entire thanksgiving holiday! THANK GOD SOMEONE ELSE IS HAVING THE SAME ISSUE! Crutchfield acted like i was NUTS!

I tried the EXACT same thing he did, disconnect the pre-amp out and you can crank it all the way, reconnect the pre-amp out and POOF, reboot! BY THE WAY, i am not getting even CLOSE to factory output before it reboots! My factory unit worked FLAWLESS, (but no USB/Bluetooth/nav), i just bought a ford raptor with the Sony/NAV/SYNC and had to have it in my Shelby!

I tried to check the ACC voltage but did not catch the 0 volt condition, damn slow volt meter... It pisses me off because i have a $4000 Osilliscope sitting at my business and i know how to use it! But, i am sure i am having the same problem!

I have a 2009 GT-500 SS, Shaker 1000. I am installing a Kenwood DNX-9960 w/ PAC C2R-FRD1 Revision #: 1.2.4a. It will cut out at HIGH BASS! I have Tried ONLY rear subs, reboot. Only front subs, REBOOT! I thought i had a bad head unit, $1500. BUT it just so happens i bought my daughter a new head unit for her truck, for christmas, a Kenwood KVT-516, i puled it out of the box and plugged it in (Thank god interchangable plugs)... GUESS WHAT!!!! REBOOT!

I plugged in an aftermarket amp and sub i had, and it did NOT reboot the HU (JL 500/1 and 10" JL Sub, MUCH MORE power draw than factory) I was thinking the factory AMP was drawing to much LINE LEVEL power and causing the head unit to power down, so... I ordered a NEW subwoofer and amp for the trunk, and was going to loose the door woofers, which i was NOT HAPPY ABOUT!

I tried the EXACT same thing he did, disconnect the pre-amp out and you can crank it all the way, reconnect the pre-amp out and POOF, reboot! BY THE WAY, i am not getting even CLOSE to factory output before it reboots! My factory unit worked FLAWLESS, (but no USB/Bluetooth/nav), i just bought a ford raptor with the Sony/NAV/SYNC and had to have it in my Shelby!

I tried to check the ACC voltage but did not catch the 0 volt condition, damn slow volt meter... It pisses me off because i have a $4000 Osilliscope sitting at my business and i know how to use it! But, i am sure i am having the same problem!

I then was going to wire directly to the ACC after reading this, but my shelby does not seem to have an 12v ACC wire at the radio harness?!?!?!

HELP HELP HELP......
Old 11-29-2010, 12:06 AM
mnemonic

Default BINGO! DEFECTIVE PAC!!!!!!!

OK, I hard wired my head unit to the fuse box ACC, AND Hardwired the factory amp to the HU, NO REBOOT!!!!, but i get a POP-ON because amps are getting 12v....SO..... I reconnected, ONLY the amp through the PAC, guess what, ONLY THE AMP now shuts off when the BASS hits, NOT the HU! THE PAC cannot handle the current draw/drop and shuts down. I re-hooked up the amps to the HU and BOOM BOOM BOOM! MY GOD what a pain in the ****, SOMEONE TELL CRUTCHFIELD, there are defective PACs out there!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:21 AM
dan02gt

Mnemonic, I feel your pain. At the moment I have my sub level set at -6 on my head unit, and it seems to be OK and the bass level sounds about right. If I turn up the sub level any higher than that I get reboots on songs with a lot of bass. I also think my PAC may be the same revision as yours. I'm not 100% sure if my PAC is rebooting due to the current draw or if is related to the Smart Junction Box that tells the PAC when to turn on the head unit.

Iskwezm, I still haven't had time to get those numbers for you. I will tear into the dash for like the 10th this week lol, and get that info for you.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:06 PM
mnemonic

Default Getting a new PAC from crutchfield now.

There are WAY to many other people out there using this system for it to be anything but a defective PAC. Mine does not even come close to factory sound, so mine must be a little worse than yours. I feel it has to do with the amp turn on lead, could be a bad voltage regulator, again i have a Tektronics TPS 2024, but dont feel like wasting my time diagnosing someone else electronics, i do enough of that on my own equipment!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mnemonic
There are WAY to many other people out there using this system for it to be anything but a defective PAC. Mine does not even come close to factory sound, so mine must be a little worse than yours. I feel it has to do with the amp turn on lead, could be a bad voltage regulator, again i have a Tektronics TPS 2024, but dont feel like wasting my time diagnosing someone else electronics, i do enough of that on my own equipment!
They could be defective, but for us to sell over 12,000 units and recieve only a handfull of calls inlcuding the forum complaints, I would rather see whats going on then sweep it under the rug ans say its defective.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 PM
mnemonic

what do you want me to check....
Old 11-29-2010, 07:49 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

as far as ur turn on pop issue you could try runnin the turn on straight to the headunit with a 5volt regulator inline. I realise on later model s197s the harness serves the purpose of RAP, but in all reality the metra harness is less money you solder on a 2 dollar voltage regulator for amp turn on and on the later model cars with no acc wire at the radio you grab accessory from fuse box or ignition harness and zero problems what so ever
Old 11-29-2010, 09:12 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan02gt
Mnemonic, I feel your pain. At the moment I have my sub level set at -6 on my head unit, and it seems to be OK and the bass level sounds about right. If I turn up the sub level any higher than that I get reboots on songs with a lot of bass. I also think my PAC may be the same revision as yours. I'm not 100% sure if my PAC is rebooting due to the current draw or if is related to the Smart Junction Box that tells the PAC when to turn on the head unit.

Iskwezm, I still haven't had time to get those numbers for you. I will tear into the dash for like the 10th this week lol, and get that info for you.
So it seems my Scosche FDSR is made by PAC or Vice versa? I have my sub level at -4 and still get the reboot with songs with a lot of bass.

So if I wire a voltage regulator, http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2062599&cp, from the amp turn on lead to my harness and not though the PAC/Scosche that would fix the reboot?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Why cant any of you guys be local??? I have put in about 5 or 6 of these in freinds cars and none of them did this.

The only thing i need checked is the acc. input voltage in and out as well as the constant 12v when the power drops.I havent been able to verify this issue so its hard to replicate as well as verify it for the engineers.

For turn on pop, use a 1000-1500 ohm resistor on the blue/white from the radio to the amp turn on.

Quick Reply: 06 PAC C2R-FRD1 wiring harness help