Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

03 GT Convertible leak onto rear amps, what can i do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:09 PM
DjChubz

Default 03 GT Convertible leak onto rear amps, what can i do?

So my top had been cut open and someone broke into my car 2 years ago, i then had a brand new top installed and since then had a very small leak in the back. It would leak into the compartment where the top folds into, the tarp area, and i would just cup it out and it would dry and be fine, never really affected anything until yesterday.

I was driving home from work and didn't even have anything turned passed 2 maybe 3 volume bars (stock mach 6cd changer head unit) and this reeaaaalllly loud tone came out of the front woofers out of nowhere, i then turned off the radio completely and it took a few seconds but finally stopped. I turned it back on and noticed clicking from the speakers, then the loud tone again, and then no bass.

I assumed something was wet somewhere so i took out everything from the trunk exposing the amps, they weren't wet or anything but around them it was sorta damp, not really flooded but just damp and figure thats what did all of this. i left all the lining and stuff off so it would possibly air dry better if at all. I've spilled water on electrical parts before and they've dried and worked fine afterwards, my question is, has anyone had this happen to them, or heard about it happening? what was the outcome? im hoping they will just dry up and be ok, but knowing my luck thats not going to happen.

I don't want to spend money on replacing factory parts, but at the same time i don't want to buy anything after market i.e. a new head unit and all new speakers, bypass the amps etc.. just don't have the funds. any suggestions?