Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2011 Mustang V6 -- replacing regular stock sound system

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 PM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

Default 2011 Mustang V6 -- replacing regular stock sound system

Has anyone done it?

If so, how difficult was it?

For all of you audio enthusiasts, I'm looking to replace the stock speakers in my car. My goal: produce as much "punch" without muddying the base. I also want to spend conservatively and I don't want to install a new head unit.

My G6 GT had the "Monsoon" sound system (premium system from Pontiac) -- had no subwoofer, but provided just enough of the kind of "punch" that I miss in my new Mustang. I honestly think I've never heard a worse stock sound system in any car. My mother's Rav 4 JBL sound system sounds 10-fold better than this.

Because subwoofers are large, heavy, and require more money I'm trying to avoid purchasing and installing one. And because I don't know where/how to install one. I don't want an odd looking box in my trunk that isn't going to roll around because I would prefer not to drill into my car.

So far here is what I've picked out, thoughts?

Sound Processor - MTX ReQ - MTX re-Q Bass restoration signal processor Get full bass response when adding amps to a factory system at Crutchfield.com
$90

(4) 2-way component speakers - Boston Acoustics S85 - Boston Acoustics S85 6"x8" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com
$88

Amp - Alpine MRP-F300 - 4-channel - Alpine MRP-F300 V-Power Series 4-channel car amplifier 50 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com
$135

Total: $313 before shipping prices. (Amazon)

Any tips, recommendations, and add-ons to this list would be much appreciated. I've never installed audio components into any car. So this is all mostly new to me. I'm still unsure what wires/wiring kits/gauge I should be buying. I heard 12 gauge should be fine since I'm not buying a sub.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:29 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

Okay... So you want a good sound system, or at least better then what you had, I wanted the same thing... In my 2011... Check my build thread in my sig and check out my stuff I installed for audio. All of my friends and family say it is the best sounding car they have ever heard. Yes it was expensive, but you dont have to do the whole thing like I did...

Speakers... I have never listened to any speakers that were under $100 that sounded decent. I am an audiophile however and love SQ with a bunch of bass. So Boston has never done it for me... Oh and 6x8s arent what is in our car it is 4 x 5x7s if you want a direct fit with no modifications.

So here is the speakers I suggest for you, Focal 5x7s... They sound amazing... I would give them more juice than that worthless 50 watt amp however. Mine are running on a JL XD600x4 series amp which is expensive but well worth the price.

I suggest you save up and then buy a nice system instead of meeting it halfway or less... note that Focal speakers run $140 roughly a pair, so they are not going to break the bank.. They are not sold online however so I suggest you head to a dealer. Let me know if you need anything... and check out my audio build!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 AM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

Hey, thanks for the reply and suggestion. I ended up ordering:

(2 - Pairs) Kenwood KFC-C6893PS 6"x8" 3-way car speakers
(1) Kenwood Kac-8405 4 Channel 720 Watt amp
(1) MTX RE-Q5

According to Crutchfield's database 5x7 and the 6x8's should fit. Just not 6x9's (which really sucks as they give more 'punch'.) I'll be running the speakers at 60W RMS which should be sufficient considering I was trying to keep my budget at around $300 (turned out to be around $400 after cables and gear.)
Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 AM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

Well let me know how they fit.. I hope you dont like super clean sound because you wont get it with that setup. Not at a loud volume that is. Essentially if you can buy it at Best Buy or Walmart it isn't worth your time...
Old 12-08-2010, 06:20 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtflyboy25
Well let me know how they fit.. I hope you dont like super clean sound because you wont get it with that setup. Not at a loud volume that is. Essentially if you can buy it at Best Buy or Walmart it isn't worth your time...

sorry i have to disagree with some of what you said. while he didnt buy focal or a higher end speaker, a jensen speaker from walrmart behind a cheapo amp will still sound way better then stock.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

The system in the 2011 is definitely not the best, but far from horrible even base and stock. Yes almost anything will sound better than stock if it is amped. What I was saying is that he could have just amped the stock speakers and essentially got the same sound as he will get out of walmart type speakers. His $45 speakers are not really any better than the stock ones. I suggest you amp the stock speakers, see how that sounds, then swap carefully 1 set into the front or rear, whichever you find easiest and listen to the difference. If you think you can hear one, return the speakers, if you know you can hear one, then I stand corrected and you picked up an okay sounding $30 dollar set of speakers which is awesome! Let me know how it sounds!
Old 12-08-2010, 10:19 PM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

They fit 5x7 and 6x8 speaker openings. I had a budget of $300 and these were right at my mark. My goal IS super clean sound, it does not have to rattle the car next to me though. Just loud enough for me to enjoy the music with my windows up or down.

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
sorry i have to disagree with some of what you said. while he didnt buy focal or a higher end speaker, a jensen speaker from walrmart behind a cheapo amp will still sound way better then stock.
I have to agree with Pentavolvo here. I agree Focal's are audophiliac-quality speakers, and these won't be of THOSE sound quality BUT these Kenwoods will certainly be ten-folds better than my stock system (regardless if they are sold at BestBuy or not.)

The system in the 2011 is definitely not the best, but far from horrible even base and stock. Yes almost anything will sound better than stock if it is amped. What I was saying is that he could have just amped the stock speakers and essentially got the same sound as he will get out of walmart type speakers. His $45 speakers are not really any better than the stock ones. I suggest you amp the stock speakers, see how that sounds, then swap carefully 1 set into the front or rear, whichever you find easiest and listen to the difference. If you think you can hear one, return the speakers, if you know you can hear one, then I stand corrected and you picked up an okay sounding $30 dollar set of speakers which is awesome! Let me know how it sounds!
I have to disagree with your first statement: The speakers in the 2011 Mustang are absolutely the worst stock sound I have ever listened to. This is coming from a guy whose 'gym' headphones are Klipsch's.

I then have to strongly disagree with you on your second point. I'm starting to doubt the quality of your opinion now. Normally I wouldn't recommend, nor suggest anything sold at Wal-Mart, but these speakers according to both Crutchfield, Sonic Electronix and Amazon are very well praised for their price and for the difference of sound.

The stock speakers in the Mustang (literally) give me a headache after listening to them for more than 30 minutes on medium volume (around 40-60% volume max).

Now, I haven't taken the time to open up my panels and physically remove the stock speakers, but from what I've read, the stock speakers are made of utter and absolute junk. Someone quoted that they are 'light as paper'. No speaker, can sound good if it doesn't have a solid magnet to produce frequencies, so that statement alone proves that these new Kenwoods will be at least twice as good.

I don't mean to sound rude or ungrateful for yours or anyones input for that matter, but I believe your assumptions to be invalid. If, for some reason you ARE right and these speakers DO sound horrible (or at least worse than my expectations) I will gladly return them, save up a few more bucks and go for something more expensive in January.

Last edited by solidhadriel; 12-08-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:33 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

I was merely speaking from my experience with those types of speakers.. Kenwood is at least better than Sony xplod Speakers haha.. I hated the mustangs stock speakers which is the reason my first mod was the stereo, but I have heard much much worse like in my buddy's Sonata haha, that and older stock systems is what I am comparing our Mustang's to. What makes you hate them? I couldnt handle the off tune high and flat bass that isnt there at all..But yes overall for a stock system they suck huge donkey dick and almost anything would sound better as I said. I just now, looked up the speakers you bought on crutchfield, and apparently I was looking at a different lower model kenwood on amazon, not sure how but the specs are different...

I see that it can handle 80 watts rms which isnt too bad at all, especially for the price. I am still surprised though that you went with these speakers.. I am a Bose guy my self, so Klipsch has never been anything I have bought, although I have heard good things..

Again I hope you the best, and let us know how they sound, if they are pretty good I might throw a pair in the race car honda my club has since they are a good cheap price.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:17 PM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

I was merely speaking from my experience with those types of speakers.. Kenwood is at least better than Sony xplod Speakers haha.. I hated the mustangs stock speakers which is the reason my first mod was the stereo, but I have heard much much worse like in my buddy's Sonata haha, that and older stock systems is what I am comparing our Mustang's to. What makes you hate them? I couldnt handle the off tune high and flat bass that isnt there at all..But yes overall for a stock system they suck huge donkey dick and almost anything would sound better as I said. I just now, looked up the speakers you bought on crutchfield, and apparently I was looking at a different lower model kenwood on amazon, not sure how but the specs are different...
Agreed - I would NEVER purchase any sort of Sony speaker. Kenwood has been a reputable audio manufacturer for quite a while, based off that knowledge and the positive reviews, I decided to purchase the speakers.

What I dislike about the stock sound system is that the highs are too distorted, there is little-to-no 'punch' with the lows. The mids sound alright (think flat, nothing 'bad', but nothing 'positive' to mention here) -- BUT they get distorted (along with the highs) whenever there is any sort of bass in the song. And the speakers make a 'squeal'-like sound whenever the highs play. I like to use this analogy when describing the sounds: Take a bag full of nails and try to shove them in your ear, thats how I feel when I listen to the stock system. Very unpleasant.

My goal with these new speakers: Responsive-lows, enough to make me 'feel' the song, nothing muddy, and nothing intense that you get from a subwoofer, but just enough 'feel'. Clear mids, and clean highs. It doesn't need to get loud enough to to wake the neighborhood, but loud enough for me to be able to sing in my car and not let my passenger know. lol

I see that it can handle 80 watts rms which isnt too bad at all, especially for the price. I am still surprised though that you went with these speakers.. I am a Bose guy my self, so Klipsch has never been anything I have bought, although I have heard good things..

Again I hope you the best, and let us know how they sound, if they are pretty good I might throw a pair in the race car honda my club has since they are a good cheap price.
Here's some background about me: I am 20 years old, full-time college student, and I'm paying for everything I own, which includes my car and my tuition. I have to prioritize my budget as time/costs permit. So, I wanted to get SOMETHING better than what I had now, but not force myself to overspend. So I set a $300 budget. In reality, after all the parts and speakers were purchased, I ended up spending more around $400 on speakers, wires, etc.

I like Bose too for home theater setups.

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. Hopefully my tools (wire + kits) get here by Friday so I can install everything this weekend.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:22 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

I feel you on the budget man, I am at college too, just turned 21.. But I sold my 91 Camaro Z28 for a 3k profit and used the whole thing essentially on my system haha... If you are ever in Colorado let me know and I will give you a ride and a listen haha.. Songs like Love Lockdown will make you go deaf for several minutes with the base turned up and the volume high, but with it set at flat and amp tuned which it is normally, I can play Metal, Country, or Classic with perfection.. It is amazing and I love it haha! I love putting together these systems... Take lots of pictures so I can live it again haha..

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang V6 -- replacing regular stock sound system