Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Cameras on car to record stuff to screen on interior?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:39 PM
whiterabit998
2nd Gear Member

Default Cameras on car to record stuff to screen on interior?

I thought of this wonderful idea of having some cameras in the front and or back of the outside of the car. They would be able to record video and take pictures that would be viewable inside the car on a lcd screen on the inside. Very similar to a back of camera system that could assist with backing up as well as record events while driving. I was thinking of using this unit here but the only thing is i would need to implement some kind of software that would allow the cameras connected to it (via usb/av) to save their content to its internal/external memory. Any one know where one could get some kind of software for it??

Old 01-05-2011, 12:12 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

As a whole unit, yes. As a plug-in camera to some of the advanced units, perhaps. But, max at one as they´re really just set up to do a single reverse cam input.

If you´re thinking about something like this:

, then you´d need a computer to interface it with.

Last edited by wayne613; 01-05-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:44 AM
whiterabit998
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

!!!! Wow that is awesome! yes i want something very much like that.. Which in that case i think you are right, a computer would be needed... Ebay has many cheap ($25) small lcd screens i could use that the computer is hooked up to, and have the many cameras hooked up to the computer.. Is that your setup??
Old 01-05-2011, 12:57 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Nah, guy I know on the mp3car forum, link is on the pic.

Put a few of my own in the a/v section for the one thread a couple down I think it is. I just have the normal rear-view switching, except it´s actually going through the in-dash computer I setup, built, and installed. I could plug in as many as I wanted, but I like keeping everything as unnoticeable as possible.

I am thinking about perhaps one or two for the purposes of recording douchetastic police encounters that I´ve experienced in the past, or even god forbid an accident, but haven´t gotten around to it yet.

It´d be cool, but he actually replaced his side and rear view cameras. Which is great IMO, so long as it´s functioning right. One GPF and your doing the Pet detective neck crane out a window to make a turn. I´m a serious geek, but in this case technology becomes more of a hindrance than a benefit integrating it that far.

For what you want though, you could probably just do the mounting below the normal rear-view and set ´em up.

Just be aware, this is probably against your local/state ordinances/laws, having moving video in view of the driver. So just expect a secondary ticket if your pulled over.

Last edited by wayne613; 01-05-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:20 AM
whiterabit998
2nd Gear Member

Ah I see... And YES this is exactly what is making me want to set this up. I got pulled over 2 nights ago and they searched my car after I told them no!! I thought to my self, if I was recording the entire event, these cops would have gotten so busted. But I'm still searching right now mainly for a mobile dvr that doesn't come with the built in camera. I was planning on keeping it unnoticeable as well which can't be terribly difficult with a black on black car lol
Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

While for obvious reasons you´d void the warranty, the stand alone one linked and others like it I´m sure can be mounted elsewhere and the camera pulled out to extend with properly shielded wiring to where it was you wanted to mount it. And natively supports using an external camera out of the box. I assume standard input, but might need to read the fine print, as it could just be their own sold ones for the model.

Last edited by wayne613; 01-05-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I bought a back up cam as I was afraid of backing up over my dog, and the kit with a mirror/screen was cheaper then a trip to the vet. The cam that came with the set required a whole be drilled, it actually looked exactly like the one you have pictured on top. I instead ordered one that mounts with the license plate mount and used it in back as I didn't want to drill a large hole in the trunk lid. Rather then throw the camera away, I decided to mount it in my front mach 1 spoiler. I wired up a relay so that I can select which camera I want at the flip of a switch, the one up front is VERY handy for parking where there are parking blocks so I do not rip of the front spoiler and so I do not scrape it. I have often thought that it would make a neat look for recording a movie since it is 4" off the ground... guess I need some pics...
Old 01-06-2011, 01:14 AM
whiterabit998
2nd Gear Member

yes pics would be sweet! As that sounds like the set up I kind of want. I even thought of taking out the passenger keyhole to put the exact same size camera since I use the remote to unlock. These systems would have so many different uses!! Backing up/ parking/races/not hitting fido/movie making/ evidence. Shoot, I'd even uses these cameras to record all the time in case I get something on film like an astroid popping in the atmosphere!!! I'd be on the news! Lol