Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Replacing After Market Head Unit Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:46 PM
s2Kyle

Exclamation Replacing After Market Head Unit Issues

I have a 96 GT. Nice and old ha. When I bought the car, my friend had installed an Alpine headunit and Mack 460 speakers in the cabin... I bought a new head unit because some jackass stole the damn faceplate off of the head unit itself. Along with my sub and not the amp and the four of five cigarettes I had at the time....

Anyway, I took out the wiring for the subwoofer as I was unsatified with the old cables and wiring job. Left them out for now. I hooked up the new head unit and I didnt get any sound from the speakers. I am missing what seemed to be an important plug on the back of my old head unit.

The wiring harness that was connected looked like this.

There was another wiring harness that was not spliced with RCA cables and connected to the head unit - but not the input to the car itself. It was just hanging behind the dash.

This next piece doesnt have a spot on the new head unit but there were RCAs plugged into them from the old head unit as this was attached to it. Not sure which RCAs were connected though.

Any thoughts on how this can work? I have two sets of RCA jacks on the back of my new head unit, one for Front and the other for Subwoofer/Rear. Connected the RCA spliced harness up to the car and the RCAs to the head unit with only the power, ground, and remote connected and played a CD with the new head unit but no sound.

Thanks in advance, K
Old 04-11-2011, 02:55 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Put it this way you're gonna have a fun time making all of this work. The Mach 460 is made to run in a very specific way and when you add in aftermarket head units they don't always work. You have to use certain kinds of adaptors/frequency converters to get everything to work. Best thing I can tell you, drive to a local audio store (not Best Buy or anything but a well known audio store with gurus) and show them what you have and see what yall can come up with. Also print out the wiring diagram of a Mach 460 system you may need it.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
s2Kyle

Does the Mach system get power to speakers via alternate method other than the head unit? I don't think I have another amp in my car or at least one for the Mach speakers.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:23 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yes the stereo doesn't power anything. There is one small amp in the front and 2 small amps in the rear panel that power the 8 speakers of the mach 460. The amp in the front powers the front 4 speakers, the two amps in the rear power the back 4 speakers (2 speakers each amp). They all tie into a single harness that then plugs into the back of the radio. Really pain in the butt system to figure out.

Here is the wiring diagram link.
http://mustangspecialties.net/mustan...-diagrams.html

Last edited by jthorn9; 04-11-2011 at 04:32 PM.