Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

I have an idea and looking for a bit of advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Juban
1st Gear Member

Default I have an idea and looking for a bit of advice

Hey guys, I haven't posted in a really long time but I'm interested in doing a project and really wanted to ask some advice from the forum before i really proceed.

I have a 2006 GT, and so far I've replaced my shaker 500 HU with a JVC double din, put a rockford power series component set as replacement for my front speakers (this was done a long time ago, not really sure of the exact model offhand), and have blown my 8-inch factory door subs.

What I want to do is remove my rear seat and create a seat delete that is a sub enclosure for 2 10 inch subs, and mount the amps below them where you would normally sit.

I guess the adivice i'm really looking for is, since my indoor 8s are busted would it be find to just disconnet them instead of replacing them? Also I'm haven't done anything in the audio world in years, so any advice on a good subs and amps would be greatly appreciated. I remember hearing a lot of good things about kicker for bang/buck speakers...is this still the case? Any other reccomendations? i don't really have any good audio shops around here and am just hesitant to buy something online without hearing them, but that will have to be the case. Sadly, anything will be better than what my system sound like currently.

Thanks for interest an replies...hopefully i can get this done by the end of the summer (and when I do i'll post pics)

-Juban
Old 02-03-2012, 12:24 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

there is lotsa room in the rear seat area for equipment, thats what I use mine for. Should not be a problem to fit a couple of 8s there, be sure the amps can breath or they will overheat.

There should be no problem with just disconnecting the stock speakers if they are blown.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Juban
1st Gear Member

thanks, i appreciate the input. i was hoping that i could just disconnect the blown door units instead of replacing them
Old 02-06-2012, 12:20 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

that is fine, just be sure that the disconnected wiring does not short out. I believe they are powered by teh amp on the drivers side if I remember correctly but disconnecting the hrns's going to them will do the same thing with out removing the door panel.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:46 PM
bobbob
1st Gear Member

Ive had this same idea but with a little more elaborate, but back on topic, if you plan on doing this, and check me to see if im getting this right, putting the subs where your back would normaly be if siting in the back? so the sub would be attached there and be open to the trunk?

Make sure you get open air subs, i belive thats what they are called, or you will have to creat boxs that will somehow or another fit behind to act as the encloser
Old 03-07-2012, 10:22 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

I've seen something like this done before I believe the guy made some kind of fiber glass encasing for the amps and the two subs were in the rear seat delete like you stated. I'm running a single 12 inch kicker comp vr with a ported box, off an alpine Mrp-m450 amp to the shaker 500. I got a good deal on everything and wired it myself so it was worth it, and it hits very hard. so yes kickers are a good bang for the buck. Kenwoods hit pretty hard as well. Good luck bro.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:07 PM
bobbob
1st Gear Member

Yeah im running a CVR12 as well hits very hard ^,^.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:13 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bobbob

Make sure you get open air subs, i belive thats what they are called, or you will have to creat boxs that will somehow or another fit behind to act as the encloser
Free air subs - they are ok but not as good sounding as if it were in a box and the other problem with them is that you are supposed to seal your trunk off from the cabin to make the trunk act as a box. Sealing the two off is harder then just building a box.