Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

The right sub-woofer for me.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM
saltydog7seas

Default The right sub-woofer for me.

Once again I bow down to people who know way more about this than I do.

I have an '05 vert. currently with the shaker 500 setup (I replaced the door 6x9 with aftermarket Xplod 6x9s). I wanted to give the sound more bass punch without screwing with the door subs. I want a setup that doesn't take up much trunk space or cost a fortune. I found this sub enclosure on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2012-Mu...item45fd2fe747

If someone knows of a better on for cheaper please let me know. Otherwise I will order this one.

I just ordered the Pioneer AVH4300DVD. I currently have a 480W Sony Xplode amp.

I want to spend < $100. I can wait to buy so please let me know if you think I can find a good deal (ebay, etc. . .). With the setup that I have mentioned what would be the best speaker for me? 10" or 12"? Brand? People talk about capacitors, would that be something I should get too?

I really have no knowledge of this stuff and I want to make sure that I get the most out of my dollar.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 AM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by saltydog7seas
Once again I bow down to people who know way more about this than I do.

I have an '05 vert. currently with the shaker 500 setup (I replaced the door 6x9 with aftermarket Xplod 6x9s). I wanted to give the sound more bass punch without screwing with the door subs. I want a setup that doesn't take up much trunk space or cost a fortune. I found this sub enclosure on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2012-Mu...item45fd2fe747

If someone knows of a better on for cheaper please let me know. Otherwise I will order this one.

I just ordered the Pioneer AVH4300DVD. I currently have a 480W Sony Xplode amp.

I want to spend < $100. I can wait to buy so please let me know if you think I can find a good deal (ebay, etc. . .). With the setup that I have mentioned what would be the best speaker for me? 10" or 12"? Brand? People talk about capacitors, would that be something I should get too?

I really have no knowledge of this stuff and I want to make sure that I get the most out of my dollar.
You shouldn't need a capacitor if you are only running a system to get enough bass..I had an 1800w kenwood amp with a 12' Alpine Type R, Loved it., But it was ALOT of bass..

Want kind of music are you going to be listening to? A 10 Inch sub will give you a noticeable amount of bass, but not all too much on top of your current system..I'd recommend a 12' and depending on what you are really wanting out of it there are multiple directions you could go with it, I like Alpine Type R or Type S, Some people love kicker such as the Kicker Comp 12, You could get Kenwood or even a Sony Xplod to match the amp, Im not personally a big fan of the Xplod series, but thats just me..Check out Ebay or Crutchfields for a single subs you should be able to get one for under 100 easy..Good luck!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 AM
saltydog7seas

Good question, I forgot about the music, lol. About the only thing I don't listen to is rap. I like more ska, rock, country. Harder hitting fast base is what I'm looking for. The Xplod series was what I got a while back for my previous car. I've since learned that I could have done much better but I have it now so I might as well use it.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:24 PM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

Good question, I forgot about the music, lol. About the only thing I don't listen to is rap. I like more ska, rock, country. Harder hitting fast base is what I'm looking for. The Xplod series was what I got a while back for my previous car. I've since learned that I could have done much better but I have it now so I might as well use it.
I used to have 2 Kicker Comp 12 subs in my car and they gave me just enough bass (Which at the time, being a highschool ***** and not being concerned about my ear drums or hearing, or other people around me..It rattled my ears and my car..) But anyways, 1 Kicker Comp would probably be enough to give you the bass you are looking for..I got 2 for 100 so you should be fine on price..

Other than the Kicker, I would go look into Alpine Type R', That was my personal favorite setup before..I had 1 12' and it was amazing., especially with my headunit where I could control EVERYTHING, I could either have a subtle bass or a "Rocking my rearview mirror off my car is shaking so much"..Its all up to budget and expectations to how it should perform..If you only want a little extra boom boom then you can't really go wrong..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-...ker&cp=1&lp=20

Since this post I have realized that the Alpine Type R is NOT under $100..I forgot how much it was, oops
Old 02-27-2012, 01:58 PM
saltydog7seas

Would that be a good fit in the box I mentioned? I thought I would have to go with a low profile speaker to make the most of that box.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:25 PM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

Would that be a good fit in the box I mentioned? I thought I would have to go with a low profile speaker to make the most of that box.
You would have to get a 10' sub rather than a 12 but I wouldn't see it being too much of a problem..It has a depth of 11.53in and the kicker sub is 5-7/8" I think so you should be okay
Old 02-27-2012, 11:59 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

there is much more important things to look at when matching a sub to a box then the depth. The airspace of the box listed is .9 cu ft but I can't find any recomendations on what volume of box is recomended for the woofers but you neet to match those two numbers or your sub will sound like chit. They say they can make the box smaller if needed and often times the shallow-mount woofers are made for smaller boxes.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 AM
saltydog7seas

That's exactly what I was wondering ttocs. Can anyone recommend the best speaker for that particular box?

Actually, I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just build my own custom fiberglass corner box? For less than the cost of the box I listed I can have one that fits and looks a lot better. I've fiberlglassed a boat deck and I've looked at a few how-to's. It doesn't look hard to do at all.

I guess another question I have is this: If my amp is 240W bridged RMS what Wattage speaker should I be looking at? I know if the speaker RMS is (let's say) 50W then I will blow it with that amp when I turn it up. I've heard also of speakers being underpowered. So should I look at speakers in the 200-300W RMS range for that amp?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

There are a couple of factors, Amps are usually rated in watts RMS (average power) and watts peak at 2 Ohms, 4 Ohms and 8 Ohms. If you have a 240W RMS amp (about 720 watts peak) at 2 ohms, it might be 200W RMS at 4 Ohms.
I usually try to match the Amps peak wattage output with the Speaker peak wattage, this prevents "clipping' the speaker signal. If the amp can output a peak of 700W and the speaker can only take 500W Peak, the speaker will hit the end of its travel and stop which will cause distortion. The goal is to make sure the speaker never sees a signal that it cannot respond to.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 AM
saltydog7seas

That is a great easy to understand explaination Chromeshadow. What about being underdriven?

Here are the specs for the amp:

480W max power

80 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms

120 watts x 2 at 2 ohms

240 watts x 1 RMS bridged output at 4 ohms

So based on that I would want a sub that's 500W-?

Quick Reply: The right sub-woofer for me.