Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Adding a rear amp to a shaker 500 2014 Mustang GT

Old 05-26-2014, 02:17 PM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

Default Adding a rear amp to a shaker 500 2014 Mustang GT

Can I just add an amp and of course new speakers in the rear? I would like to keep the factory head unit. I would to get the full range to the back. I am not sure if the 500 has the internal crossover or if it is done at the factory amp. Has anyone did this?
Old 05-29-2014, 02:48 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

If you are going to add speakers you might as well add front ones as well... If you get an amp with line-level inputs you can just hook it up to the normal speaker wires and amp the front and back speakers, and possibly leave the door woofers(if you have them) where they are.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:14 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KevStangZona
Can I just add an amp and of course new speakers in the rear? I would like to keep the factory head unit. I would to get the full range to the back.
can you be more specific in what it is you want to do? just throwing more power at your rear speakers isn't necessarily going to get you much.

I am not sure if the 500 has the internal crossover or if it is done at the factory amp. Has anyone did this?
yes, of course it has crossovers. The front door speakers are crossed-over to blend with the front door woofers, and the rear speakers are high-pass filtered to make sure they don't get pressed into trying to reproduce frequencies they aren't able to.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 AM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28

Hello someone on the mustang source forum pointed me to this and will do what I want according to the adapter the crossover is not internal to the radio but done external so I can get full frequency to the rears. I will post when I get it. I already ordered it. According to people who have used it say the can add subs with it using the rear rca's. If that is true the crossover has to be external. Here is the link to that thread.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...-14-gt-530687/
Thanks
Old 05-30-2014, 10:10 AM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

Hmm just read another review saying that it does not pass low signals we will see. might be returning it. seems kind of pointless if it does not.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:13 PM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

I just called the PAC technical line and they said it will pass all frequencies. I think I will till try it out. Unless someone has tried it and knows that it does not work..
Old 05-30-2014, 07:05 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

none of that will work. The "Shaker" system on the '13-'14 Mustang is completely different from the Shaker 500 on the '05-'12. The '12 and older Shaker 500 powers the main speakers from the radio, and the door subwoofers via a pair of amps in the kickpanels. The crossovers/EQ are in the radio. The '13-up Shaker system has an external 8-channel DSP amplifier which powers all speakers. The crossovers/EQ are in the 8 channel amplifier. The PAC kit won't work for what you want to do.

Hello someone on the mustang source forum pointed me to this and will do what I want according to the adapter the crossover is not internal to the radio but done external so I can get full frequency to the rears.
I've asked this once already. What are you trying to do? What are you expecting to get by adding an amp to your rear speakers?
Old 05-30-2014, 08:23 PM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

Basically I think the rear speakers are pointless in the stock set up. I have a 5 channel Alpine amp that I am not using it. So I just wanted to do something inexpensive and getting just the rear channel signals to RCA's to add the amp and new rear deck speakers so they get full range and some subs. The set up I am trying is only 250 toal now. But from what you said it will not work so it might be going back. I am really saving for the VMP STG2 SC kit. I definitely would rather spend money there then the stereo
Old 05-30-2014, 09:16 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I still can't figure out what the f it is you want to do. if the rear speakers are "pointless" in the stock setup, then throwing more power at them (or changing them) will be just as pointless.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:16 PM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

I am trying to get full range to the rear deck speakers and add a sub. For what I was going to do was only $250. I just wanted to get line level signals for the rear to the back to connect to my amp. I was going to upgrade the deck speakers. So on the Shaker the DSP is not done in the header unit but the amp?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding a rear amp to a shaker 500 2014 Mustang GT