Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Stock double din swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Derek_Lauer

Default Stock double din swap

Okay I've been trying to research this so here it goes. I bought a 2014 GT and I traded my old car which was a ford focus st in on this. My st was fully loaded it had everything what I really liked about it was the ford my touch the st had. When I bought my car I was in a rush and only had a day and a half to decide if I wanted it or not. I wanted one with a sync my touch but getting one was kinda out of the question. They couldn't find one with it with my track package I wanted. So I'm asking if I could find someone selling there stock ford my touch double din can I install it in my mustang? I don't care if it has nav or not. My car already has the sync and stuff just not the touch screen. I really appreciate your time.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:12 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derek_Lauer
Okay I've been trying to research this so here it goes. I bought a 2014 GT and I traded my old car which was a ford focus st in on this. My st was fully loaded it had everything what I really liked about it was the ford my touch the st had. When I bought my car I was in a rush and only had a day and a half to decide if I wanted it or not. I wanted one with a sync my touch but getting one was kinda out of the question. They couldn't find one with it with my track package I wanted. So I'm asking if I could find someone selling there stock ford my touch double din can I install it in my mustang? I don't care if it has nav or not. My car already has the sync and stuff just not the touch screen. I really appreciate your time.
No.

The 2014 Mustang has an older electronics architecture, which means the MyFord Touch system your ST had won't work in the Mustang.

Also, the touchscreen navigation system the '14 Mustang is available with can't easily be installed into a car built without it; you have to have the dual-zone automatic climate controls which weren't offered in the non-touchscreen system.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Derek_Lauer

I'm not asking if I can swap the st's I'm talking about taking it out of another mustang and putting it in mine.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Like I said, no. #1, Mustangs don't have MyFord Touch like your ST did. So there's no MyFord Touch to take from another Mustang. And you can't take it from any other car with MyFord Touch because (as I said) the electrical architecture is different.

#2, as I tried to explain, if your Mustang wasn't built with the touchscreen navigation system, you can't (easily) add it after the fact. the touchscreen setup came with the automatic climate controls; if you don't have the touchscreen, you don't have automatic climate controls. The module and CAN messages simply aren't there. Even if you did manage to transfer over the radio, screen, bezel, and controls, your A/C and heat wouldn't work.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:27 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

If you want a navigation radio you can do that, if you want to keep ford sync you can do that too, had you bought the premium with the nav radio already installed you would have both of those, but not much else.
If you want to keep sync and have a touch screen look at the raxiom radio, it might have what you are looking for, and it will be cheaper than most other options.