Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

SiriusXM add on

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 01:14 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Default SiriusXM add on

Just bought a '15 GT base. No satellite radio, just basic radio & a USB port for my ipod. I looked on SiriusXM's web site last night and found that they have a system top add it to my car and a 1 year subscription for $100. Has anybody added or have one of these in your vehicle? Any upsides or downsides?
Old 09-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Overcast451

Originally Posted by mapitts
Just bought a '15 GT base. No satellite radio, just basic radio & a USB port for my ipod. I looked on SiriusXM's web site last night and found that they have a system top add it to my car and a 1 year subscription for $100. Has anybody added or have one of these in your vehicle? Any upsides or downsides?
Well - I had just gotten a 5 month Sirius deal for my old car and then traded it in for this Mustang. So I called them to cancel - but they offered me a free Stratus 7 Radio - and well.. I took it.

I did find a good spot to mount it; although - you can't see the radio itself while driving as the steering wheel 'spoke' obscures it. But with the presets, really isn't a big deal to me, when I stop I can move the wheel to the left or right and see the radio fine. Actually - one complaint about it was that it's too bright at night, but I have the brightness way down and I don't even notice it to be honest. I just couldn't find anywhere I could mount it real clean without rigging up a mount or something like that, which would be fine if it was going to be more permanent. The zip strip fit just right in the slot for the wires on the back of the mounting plate - just try to keep the wire and the zip strip separate, they got a bit twisted on me and it's hard enough to move the zip strip without something else adding more resistance. In this spot, I was able to easy push the wires in between the various panels - so you don't see any wires at all.

The problem I ran into mounting it here was the audio cable and the power cable are just too short - they reach the console, but only *barely*. I guess I can get extensions for both. I'm not going to dig too deep for this thing as I do plan on getting a new Head unit at some point; and It will likely have Sirius already anyway. I just don't want to 'hack' anything together, I want it to look real clean and keep the steering wheel audio controls for sure, so I'll wait for some 'pro' kits/adapters to come out.

But here's how I mounted it - can't argue for a temp installation - it took all of one zip strip, lol. I left the little 'wedge' thing in the back of the radio - I think I had to flip it around, this allowed the Sirius Radio to stay facing straight out instead of leaning down with the curve of the dashboard. If you mounted it without that on the back, it would end up facing down towards the floorboards.

I had part of the dash off - but it wasn't at all needed, but I was curious what was needed to install an aftermarket head unit. I found a video or two online that kinda showed how to pull the dash and console apart.

The antenna fits really well just up in the leftmost part of the windshield, with the wire tucked into the molding by the driver's door - I didn't even need to use anything to mount it - it just sits there fine.

It'll work for now.

It's slightly crooked, which drives me a bit nutty, so I have to remind myself it's not permanent..

Last edited by Overcast451; 09-23-2015 at 01:21 PM.