Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

04 Mach 460 system, Installed Aftermarket HU, No Highs/Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 06:33 PM
breaking

Default 04 Mach 460 system, Installed Aftermarket HU, No Highs/Tweeters

https://*******/9Bo1

There is a video to hear what I am talking about.

I have a 2004 Mustang GT with the stock Mach 460 sound system, and I have the Metra 70-5521 harness, with a 12v to 5v hookup for the factory amps, as well as the RCA cables plugged into my Alpine CDE-143BT's front speaker outputs. But it sounds like I'm listening through a wall and I can't figure out why, I've looked up several videos and read through threads both here and elsewhere yet nothing is done different for their systems to sound normal.

My stock radio works fine, and the Alpine sounds like garbage. I don't think any sound is coming out from the doors, especially not the tweeters, I do have both blue/white amp turn ons connected and functioning as I am able to hear the rear woofers, but as you can hear it's not what I was hoping for.

I did read that there was a separate amp in the dash somewhere that controlled only the tweeters, so is there a turn on lead in the main plug that I have missed? Or did a previous owner mess with the connections and screw me over?

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:22 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by breaking
https://*******/9Bo1

There is a video to hear what I am talking about.

I have a 2004 Mustang GT with the stock Mach 460 sound system, and I have the Metra 70-5521 harness, with a 12v to 5v hookup for the factory amps, as well as the RCA cables plugged into my Alpine CDE-143BT's front speaker outputs. But it sounds like I'm listening through a wall and I can't figure out why, I've looked up several videos and read through threads both here and elsewhere yet nothing is done different for their systems to sound normal.

My stock radio works fine, and the Alpine sounds like garbage. I don't think any sound is coming out from the doors, especially not the tweeters, I do have both blue/white amp turn ons connected and functioning as I am able to hear the rear woofers, but as you can hear it's not what I was hoping for.

I did read that there was a separate amp in the dash somewhere that controlled only the tweeters, so is there a turn on lead in the main plug that I have missed? Or did a previous owner mess with the connections and screw me over?

Thanks.
the mid-tweeters are driven by the head unit's powered speaker outputs, only the woofers have external amplifiers. the front mid-tweets should be connected to the LF and RF speaker outputs.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:51 AM
breaking

Originally Posted by jz78817
the mid-tweeters are driven by the head unit's powered speaker outputs, only the woofers have external amplifiers. the front mid-tweets should be connected to the LF and RF speaker outputs.
I see. I do have the RCA's from the harness plugged into the right output, and everything else is wired correctly. So could it just be my head units fault?
Old 10-01-2015, 08:08 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by breaking
I see. I do have the RCA's from the harness plugged into the right output, and everything else is wired correctly. So could it just be my head units fault?
no, because unless you have the weirdest head unit in the world, the powered speaker outputs do not go out over RCA connectors. those are for connecting to external amplifiers.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:10 AM
breaking

Originally Posted by jz78817
no, because unless you have the weirdest head unit in the world, the powered speaker outputs do not go out over RCA connectors. those are for connecting to external amplifiers.
Oh my mistake I got confused. So I did find an old Sirius XM setup the previous owner had set up, do you think it may have something to do with that? At this point I'm all out of ideas as I have everything wired as always and I just had this setup in a previous vehicle.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:27 PM
breaking

Fixed my problem! I was using the KTP-445A amp designed for my HU, and I plugged the metra harness directly into the HU and I heard the sound as you'd expect. But whether or not it was the amp directly or a cable somewhere along the line was broken I don't know but I'm happy to have sound again. Hope this helps someone from google anyway.