Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Voltage Drop When Amp Turns On - 2015 V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 10:03 PM
irootbeer

Default Voltage Drop When Amp Turns On - 2015 V6

Hello whoever is reading this,
I've been having some issues with a subwoofer setup in my 2015 V6. I have everything wired up correctly and my amp turns on, however it turns on into protection mode because it looks like the voltage to my amp drops to ~9V when remote voltage is applied. It's very frustrating because what little time I've had recently has been spent troubleshooting and I cannot figure out what the deal is. I have my ground attached to the bolt holding down the back seats which is used by most people that do installs for this model. This is what I believed the problem to be, but I went back and sanded the metal to a shine and redid the connections to no avail. This is what I'm looking at in terms of voltage at the amp:

Amp off (ground to B+)
Name:  20170402_201405_zpsoz9ikb0b.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  192.6 KB

Amp on (ground to B+)
Name:  20170402_200641_zpsbtuzyzzq.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  218.1 KB

Amp on (REM to ground)
Name:  20170402_200628_zpstfcjeskb.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  189.5 KB

I'm pretty desperate for help at this point. I've only done 1 install in the past (on a mustang coincidentally) so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious. If I am please let me know
Old 04-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

How did you aquire the amp?

Where is your 12V power source connected to? Hopefully directly to the battery. Also, Which inputs are you using, the low or high level? It looks like a low level (RCA). Lastly are you pushing into a 2 or 4 ohm speaker configuration? What ohm is the speaker or speakers and if multiple speakers, how are they wired, series or parallel?

And what brand/model of head unit?

A quick easy troubleshooting thing would be to find another ground point just temporarily. If the problem persists then you need to look at other stuff.

Last edited by Derf00; 04-03-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:24 PM
irootbeer

Originally Posted by Derf00
How did you aquire the amp?

Where is your 12V power source connected to? Hopefully directly to the battery. Also, Which inputs are you using, the low or high level? It looks like a low level (RCA). Lastly are you pushing into a 2 or 4 ohm speaker configuration? What ohm is the speaker or speakers and if multiple speakers, how are they wired, series or parallel?

And what brand/model of head unit?

A quick easy troubleshooting thing would be to find another ground point just temporarily. If the problem persists then you need to look at other stuff.
My 12V is connected directly to the battery under the hood. It was purchased new off of Amazon. It's connected to the bolt you use to losen the terminal connection, I'll be sure to get a picture after work. I've been told to change the ground but that involves getting extra hardware and I've just been trying to avoid that. Guess I'll give that a shot next. I have my LOC spliced into the rear speaker wiring harness so I'm assuming its after the factory amp. I'm pushing a single 10" that I had lying around the house, I checked the ohm reading for the speaker and it was 1 so I disconnected it for all my tests, the voltage you see in the post is without the speaker disconnected. Lastly my head unit is just the stock ford sync 3
Old 04-03-2017, 08:49 PM
irootbeer

So turns out the positive terminal on the battery had some corrosion on it that I assume was causing the voltage to act the way it was. I changed the connection point for the fuse holder also and between those things it finally turned my amp on. Unfortunately the speaker isn't outputting any sound (of course) but i'll figure out the problem eventually. Thanks to everyone that took the time to help me out