Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Noise/feedback in new subwoofer install

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 07:55 PM
cheetah01

Default Noise/feedback in new subwoofer install

Greetings all. I have a 2016 Ecoboost convertible that I recently purchased after owning a 2010 V6. I have transplanted the two subs and amp from the previous Mustang and cannot figure out what is now going on. Things seem fine at first but as soon as I begin moving the subs will start up a constant tone that will stop intermittently as I drive or when I stop. This continues even if I turn the volume all the way down or pause the source material, which makes me think it is engine noise?

Specs: I'm using the stock head unit, so I tapped into the rear speakers and wired them to the speaker level inputs on the amp (so no RCA cables running alongside the power wire). Remote wire running to the fuse box on the passenger floor side, power to the battery, ground to a bolt in the trunk. Has anyone seen or heard of this before? This is not my first rodeo, and the amp was working exactly as it should in the previous car (was removed only a few weeks ago). Could it be the ground? I've worked on the area twice and it is down to bare metal.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Blueper
2nd Gear Member

Most of the noises like this are due to not properly grounded. Do you have a GOOD ground on the amp?
I like to sand to bare metal and use a washer with teeth for a better connection.