Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Replacement bass audio

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 08:28 PM
Dunmaghlas

Default Replacement bass audio

Hey, I need some help finding some new speakers. My 2003 Stang has the Mach 460 audio system but has pretty much no bass at all, so I'm considering pretty much scrapping it and replacing all the speakers. I'm thinking of having the rear two speakers and the lower two door speakers pretty much pure bass and the upper two door speakers normal. Does anyone know what some of the best speakers are? Like 100 to 175 bucks total though, I'm pretty poor. I honestly have no clue what any of this means other than "bass" and "tweeters" so anything helps, even if it's just tips on what to look for.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:45 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Bass in the doors does no good without an enclosure like the Shaker systems have in the
S197 Mustangs. Your best bet is to upgrade your speakers, and add a subwoofer to the
system. Good rear deck speakers will produce bass, but the trunk is the enclosure, so
the speakers have to be good.

Sub Bass is 20 to 60 Hz, this is where bass drums are, and sub bass means subwoofer.
Bass that is produced in this range is felt more than it is heard, providing a sense of power.
It moves air..

Bass is 60 to 250 Hz. The fundamental notes of rhythm are centered on this area. Too much boost
in the sub-bass range can make the sound overly powerful, whereas too much cut will weaken and
thin out the sound. Some bass drums, like from Metallica's "And Justice for All" album, extend
into this range.

Those two areas are what causes a lot of speaker movement, and cause the most damage to the inner ear.

Pure bass is speculative, because bass covers more than bass drum. You can't have PURE
bass in an audio system, because you aren't listening to just bass. I know what you meant,
but just be clear on your words. You want signal separation based on the speaker, not purity.

If you have open back subwoofers in the door, with the other speakers, contaminates the bass sound
through the actual cone material. That is why you have to enclose subwoofers. If you were to turn
your open back subwoofers in the door off, and just have the other door speakers on, you can still
hear sound through the subwoofer, it resonates out of its cone, passive resonating. Thus, you do
not have a purified bass signal with other frequencies from the other door speaker resonating out of it.

Low Midrange: 250 to 500 Hz, contains the low order harmonics of most instruments and is
generally viewed as the bass presence range. Boosting a signal around 300 Hz adds clarity to
the bass and lower-stringed instruments. Too much boost around 500 Hz can make higher
frequency instruments sound muffled.

The frequencies above 500Hz-2Khz are midrange and those above, so not covering that...

You must enclose your subs for clean sound.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Dunmaghlas

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
Pure bass is speculative, because bass covers more than bass drum. You can't have PURE
bass in an audio system, because you aren't listening to just bass. I know what you meant,
but just be clear on your words. You want signal separation based on the speaker, not purity.
Yeah that's pretty much what I meant lol. Thanks for all the info that'll definitely make this easier!

Last edited by Dunmaghlas; 03-04-2019 at 03:51 PM.