MrBullitt08
1st Gear Member

Default RE: How to make bullitt faster?

275's
Old 05-17-2007, 12:57 PM
bullittracr
2nd Gear Member

i took mine to the track not to long ago. and my best was also 13.8 thats with jus slp LM1's and mac o/r H i might plan on doing the port and polish also. but not sure of the gain i might get. have an idea?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

port and polish+cams, you will see some pretty good gains, the bullitt intake will help a lot with the volume air it allows to flow, stock we aren't seeing its best potential.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:03 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BullittJim

port and polish+cams, you will see some pretty good gains, the bullitt intake will help a lot with the volume air it allows to flow, stock we aren't seeing its best potential.
On a stock car porting and polishing the heads and a set of cams are going to see minimal gains. with the stock intake boltons and stock exhaust your not going to get great results.

Even with all that, your still only talking about 300-310 WHP (full boltons, cams, heads) and its ALOT of money.

So far as the bullitt intake, it does virtually nothing until you either get really serious with a built motor (shortblock, and even then not all that great) or on a FI car. Compared to the stock PI intake on a bolton only or bolton/heads/cams car the gains are virutally nonexsistant... it has been tried and its a matter of the stock PI intake simply not being the restriction in the system. even with ported heads and a set of cams the heads are still the biggest airflow restriction.

So far as mods to his car, it blows my mind nobody has said gears yet. A set of 4.10s or even 3.73s + a few mods here and there will do wonders. However, doing mods to the car doesn't make it "less" of a bullitt, and in any case no matter how badly you want it to be its not a collectors car.

Edit: Holy old thread badman, this ones back from 2006!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: BullittJim

On a stock car porting and polishing the heads and a set of cams are going to see minimal gains. with the stock intake boltons and stock exhaust your not going to get great results.

Even with all that, your still only talking about 300-310 WHP (full boltons, cams, heads) and its ALOT of money.

So far as the bullitt intake, it does virtually nothing until you either get really serious with a built motor (shortblock, and even then not all that great) or on a FI car. Compared to the stock PI intake on a bolton only or bolton/heads/cams car the gains are virutally nonexsistant... it has been tried and its a matter of the stock PI intake simply not being the restriction in the system. even with ported heads and a set of cams the heads are still the biggest airflow restriction.

So far as mods to his car, it blows my mind nobody has said gears yet. A set of 4.10s or even 3.73s + a few mods here and there will do wonders. However, doing mods to the car doesn't make it "less" of a bullitt, and in any case no matter how badly you want it to be its not a collectors car.

Edit: Holy old thread badman, this ones back from 2006!
+1

If you just want to run some quick times at the strip get some 4.10 gears..find a set of old wheels and put some M/T ET Streets on them ... that alone will gain quite a bit out of the hole if you leave hard.

Some good axles and a clutch and you could launch at 6000 er so...

Work on the suspension...

Honestly there isn't alot you can do to a 4.6 other than a supercharger that is going to show big hp gains.. unless you spend lotttss of money
Old 05-24-2007, 01:59 PM
clos561

twin turbo would be nice...or jsut a single large one. my friend is buying a 2001 bullit mustang for 10500 and he needs to get tranny rebuilt or something...you guys know a good site to get a set of gears for the tr-3650....either the stock set or some better quality gears..he also needs a stronger clutch able to hanlde 350+ rwhp.....even 400+ maybe..we want to push his car as much as we can.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:12 PM
jbullitt2005

Underdrive pullies will free up a few ponies, headers, and desent cat back, as far as a mid pipe i had a catted h then swapped for off road some people say catted h will give more low end torque but at the performance shop i go to they said bs also a gear thats a real good start.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:32 PM
gambietti

3:90 gears are a perfect match for the Bullitts-it keeps them right in their sweet spot in all gears. They are the best bang for your buck to improve you ETs and that seat of the pants feel of being faster. If you are on a tight budget, do the gears, cai and squeeze every drop of HP with a dyno tune.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:59 PM
lighthero

clos561...tell your friend he's getting ripped off. I bought a perfectly good working one for 9.5k and it has mods done to it. The ONLY thing that I had to get done (besides basic maintenance) was to get a new fuel pump. Because I had a friend that could do that for me, he only charge me for the pump and he gets parts cheaper...about 200 bucks. So, for 10.5k and having to rebuild trans....bad deal! Btw, mine also has headers/H-pipe, K/N filter, and tintsand some other mods that I may have missed.

By the way...I have never had my own 'muscle or tuner car' so, I'm completely incompitent about it. Help me on this gear thing...How much would it cost to change the gears up and where do I need to get it done? I have a friend I believe is completely capable of doing this, but, what parts do I need to get (and again, price)? I have also heard of the dyno tuning and have a friend who recommended that to me too. What do I need (besides $$$$) to get that done? What is CAI? Sorry, like I said...I'm real new at this.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:20 AM
gambietti

congrats on the new car......as for the gears, do NOT let anyone convince you they can do them. There is a lot more involved then opening the rear and swapping them out. They have to be perfectly set in by a professional. Ask a mechanic how many ring and pinion sets they have done in the past prior to you giving them the ok. Otherwise, you will suffer with a "wining" noise or even worse, the gears banging. Also put some really good synthetic oil in the case. The gear sets normally cost around 160-200 range plus install...it is about a 3-4 hour job.
CAI is short for cold air intake......I recommend JLT True Cold air. It relocates the Mass air sensor outside the engine bay to give it a solid reading of much cooler air. Also, save your money on headers-they are VERY costly and the HP gains are minimal unless you are putting a supercharger on it. If you are looking for sound, swap out the stock H pipe for an off road one. Good luck

Quick Reply: How to make bullitt faster?