California Regional Chapter Chapter President: Matt's 95 Stang

MODs in cali

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 PM
darkstarnes
2nd Gear Member

Default MODs in cali

well I am debating into moving to cali... but I am afraid of the moding laws they have... I would like to know what is or isn't legal in cali...
Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkstarnes
well I am debating into moving to cali... but I am afraid of the moding laws they have... I would like to know what is or isn't legal in cali...
You can look up your parts on this website to see if they are OK, but why in the hell would you move to CA, it sucks here.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

Doing ANYTHING to modify your cars exhaust/engine is illegal in cali, lowering in some cases too, but has that stopped anyone? No, if you aren't a dick to cops, then you won't have a problem. There are worse things to deal with than a modded car.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Donnie's GTS
Doing ANYTHING to modify your cars exhaust/engine is illegal in cali, lowering in some cases too, but has that stopped anyone? No, if you aren't a dick to cops, then you won't have a problem. There are worse things to deal with than a modded car.
You can do CARB approved mods, which does include shortie headers, the unmodified Saleen SC kits and several others. I can still pass smog with all my mod's as long as they don't look to closely. Here is the aftermarket parts website.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php
Old 02-10-2011, 09:29 PM
darkstarnes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sactown
You can look up your parts on this website to see if they are OK, but why in the hell would you move to CA, it sucks here.
Well I have heard horrible things for the modding laws.. that you can not even put an intake, lower your car, window tinting, etc.... LOL. Well my GF lives in cali so....... and I actually like San Diego...
Old 02-11-2011, 12:29 AM
alexyikes00
2nd Gear Member

haha... I love cali.. my car i kinda modded, I hardly get messed with, just be cool and youll be fine
Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 AM
darkstarnes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alexyikes00
haha... I love cali.. my car i kinda modded, I hardly get messed with, just be cool and youll be fine
well I did research and my car will not be safe at all..... I am adding a 4V engine LTs, P&P, high compression pistons, EGR delete, etc.... so there is no chance for my car to be legal... I think I have to leave the AZ plates on for ever LOL...
Old 02-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by darkstarnes
well I did research and my car will not be safe at all..... I am adding a 4V engine LTs, P&P, high compression pistons, EGR delete, etc.... so there is no chance for my car to be legal... I think I have to leave the AZ plates on for ever LOL...
Sorry will not work. The damn tree huggers in Cali will make sure you have to get smogged in Cali in order to get tags. You will be fine except the LT's. Those are a no go in Cali.

Matthew
Old 02-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sactown
You can do CARB approved mods, which does include shortie headers, the unmodified Saleen SC kits and several others. I can still pass smog with all my mod's as long as they don't look to closely. Here is the aftermarket parts website.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php
It'll pass smog, but its still not legal, even down to the muffler.

section 12 of the vehicle code will give the provisions.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:56 PM
alexyikes00
2nd Gear Member

just pay someone 200 bucks to pass your cars smog, and youll be good for 2 years... but dont go around revving next to a cop and you be ok

Quick Reply: MODs in cali