California Regional Chapter Chapter President: Matt's 95 Stang

I f*cking hate California

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Default I f*cking hate California

Soooo looks like I wont be able to put the SC on my 95!I nearly myself when I found out that I could drop the 4.2 into the car, then slap the SC on top but after all that I would have to spend another 2K just to get the f*cking car certified that it will pass smog! Because no *factory 3.8 Mustang* came with a SC the car would have to be classified as a "kit car". In order for a "kit car" to be certified in California you have to take it to the CHP and have it inspected that it is safe to drive, you have to get it smogged at a California owned and run BAR smog shop, then you have to have it inspected at the DMV.....IF, if, I pass all that the state can still decide to denie me a smog certification.....

Matthew
Old 05-21-2011, 12:30 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

that sux. California Really Strict when it comes to that stuff.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ
that sux. California Really Strict when it comes to that stuff.
Hey, we're not that far behind. MA is sort of a CA wannabee when it comes to stepping on the individual
Old 05-21-2011, 01:19 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Find a shop that will look past the visual. That's what I have up in the Bay Area for my '83. Of course they usually want more money if they're going to look the other way. Also, why would you put $4.2k into a $2k car? You've already wasted enough money on that thing.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:35 PM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

i think he means 4.2 motor
Old 05-21-2011, 01:38 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

When I get my car inspected they just ask me if I have Cats they dont really get into it with me about emissions as long as cats are present.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
Find a shop that will look past the visual. That's what I have up in the Bay Area for my '83. Of course they usually want more money if they're going to look the other way. Also, why would you put $4.2k into a $2k car? You've already wasted enough money on that thing.
I meant a 4.2 V6 long block. And yes, I could do it if I found a shop that over looks the visual inspection. Unfortunitly I dont know any shops that will do that. I mean I failed just because the freaken CAI tube didnt have a CARB sticker...I can only imagine what they would do if they saw a blower on top.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:28 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
I meant a 4.2 V6 long block. And yes, I could do it if I found a shop that over looks the visual inspection. Unfortunitly I dont know any shops that will do that. I mean I failed just because the freaken CAI tube didnt have a CARB sticker...I can only imagine what they would do if they saw a blower on top.
Time to start asking around.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

4.2L (3.8L Stroked?). SHouldn't matter if it's CARB certified since it is essentially 3.8 with a longer stroke (different crank and rods). You can't tell a stroker from a none stroker just by looking at it when it's in the car.

Aren't there any S/C's that are Carb certified? I thought Whipple was since they are OEM for Roush? Also, what CAI do you have? A lot of those are CARB certified. You have to check with the manufacturer.

CA is spreading their disease to other states with their stupid emissions regulations.

I was just at the dealership having my cars serviced this morning and walking around the lot, ALL of the AZ cars now have CA emissions as part of their "options" . No extra charge but still CA emissions....Bleh!
Old 05-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

The 4.2 would be fine but....I would have to stay NA. Also I would probably have to stay singleport as if I went split port I would loose all that I have in the single port heads and intakes.

Quick Reply: I f*cking hate California