MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   California Regional Chapter (https://mustangforums.com/forum/california-regional-chapter-148/)
-   -   NEWBIE 2010 MUSTANG V6 PREMIUM BAD MPG (https://mustangforums.com/forum/california-regional-chapter/700378-newbie-2010-mustang-v6-premium-bad-mpg.html)

bamzilla 08-30-2013 01:30 AM

NEWBIE 2010 MUSTANG V6 PREMIUM BAD MPG

Sup guys,

Im new to this Mustang life and I love my new car. However I get bad MPG. I have a custom exhaust on it by Pypes. I get about 280 miles with a full tank. For some reason with prolonged driving, sometimes not even that, It gets really warm, NOT HOT, by my pedals and leg areas. Any tips and or mod suggestions to help improve MPG besides cold air intake?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

calistang05 08-30-2013 02:15 AM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Mustang, as for improving gas mileage if you don't want a cold intake and tune for it I don't really know much that could improve mileage besides keeping the right amount of air pressure in your tires and not driving with a heavy foot all the time. And even with a intake and tune doesn't really improve that much especially with how high gas prices are nowadays.

steel pony 08-30-2013 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by bamzilla (Post 8274130)
Sup guys,

Im new to this Mustang life and I love my new car. However I get bad MPG. I have a custom exhaust on it by Pypes. I get about 280 miles with a full tank. For some reason with prolonged driving, sometimes not even that, It gets really warm, NOT HOT, by my pedals and leg areas. Any tips and or mod suggestions to help improve MPG besides cold air intake?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the forums!

First off, your post does lack a little detail:
1) What grade of gas are you using?
2) Current mileage on car?
3) Driving style and/or conditions? As in is it mostly city, highway, or a mix of both? Give us some averages...

as far as the heat issues go...welcome to the life of a late model Mustang owner! The transmission tunnel and the redesigned front end/hood don't do much to dispel heat very well. There's isn't much for insulation around these areas other than your carpeting, so there's no real place for the heat to go, except into and thru the metal, then into the cabin. You can take up the carpeting and put down some dynomat. That will cut some of it...but not all of it...

Enjoy your new ride!!

bamzilla 08-30-2013 10:21 AM

I plan on getting a cold air intake and tune.. I was thinking the Tune had something to do with it...do you know how I can also check my axle ratios? I read a few things that is giving me the impression that affects MPG as well?

bamzilla 08-30-2013 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by steel pony (Post 8274174)
Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the forums!

First off, your post does lack a little detail:
1) What grade of gas are you using?
2) Current mileage on car?
3) Driving style and/or conditions? As in is it mostly city, highway, or a mix of both? Give us some averages...

as far as the heat issues go...welcome to the life of a late model Mustang owner! The transmission tunnel and the redesigned front end/hood don't do much to dispel heat very well. There's isn't much for insulation around these areas other than your carpeting, so there's no real place for the heat to go, except into and thru the metal, then into the cabin. You can take up the carpeting and put down some dynomat. That will cut some of it...but not all of it...

Enjoy your new ride!!

I bought the car at about 22 and come change, Its at 23800 now. I drive fairly decent, mostly highway, but you can say a mix. but I do it drive it like a mustang sometimes...My CPU gauge is telling me that Im averaging 17.5 and Im not sure if that is overall..

Ahhhhhhhh so that's where Im getting the heat from, Had me scared, thought it had something to do with the exhaust with no custom intake.. Where can I get Dynomat from?

And thanks for the help! And I already am enjoying the ride, I love it!

steel pony 08-30-2013 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by bamzilla (Post 8274286)
I bought the car at about 22 and come change, Its at 23800 now. I drive fairly decent, mostly highway, but you can say a mix. but I do it drive it like a mustang sometimes...My CPU gauge is telling me that Im averaging 17.5 and Im not sure if that is overall..

Ahhhhhhhh so that's where Im getting the heat from, Had me scared, thought it had something to do with the exhaust with no custom intake.. Where can I get Dynomat from?

And thanks for the help! And I already am enjoying the ride, I love it!

Well i can tell you that i'm lucky to get 19MPG on 93 Octane with a modified setup, tune and spirited driving.
On a recent road trip from NC to PA & back, the avg was 26MPG, so it's prob safe to say you're in the ballpark with your driving style.

As far as the dynamat, a good audio house will have it as well as some home improvement stores or auto specialty houses.
You can read up more here
http://www.dynamat.com/products_auto...roduction.html
just be warned...it's a huge undertaking, cuz you're going to want to do the whole interior or at the least the trans tunnel area...both of which will require removal of the seats and carpeting.

Might be a little overboard, cuz you can just kick on the AC and be comfy!