California Regional Chapter Chapter President: Matt's 95 Stang

What mods are best and why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 PM
clayton.ferguson21

Talking What mods are best and why?

Hey everyone! I had some questions to ask. I bought a 2014 GT 5.0 recently and want to start building her up. I am looking for some performance and sound, but mostly just for the fun of driving it around socal. No racing, or anything like that, just fun and loud driving to turn heads.
*I hear that some CAI's and tuning will void my warranty. Is this true? I know we are in CA and some mods allegedly may not be street legal, bu hey, its for the car and possibly shows, etc.
*Are CAI's worth the money?
*Difference between X and H pipes because the research I have done seems that people favor X-pipes, but not much difference in performance?
*Exhausts? I know high flow CATS to keep her within smog, but glass packs, flowmasters, straight pipe?
*and of course long tube vs short tube heads and why? ceramic?

Ok, hope this will get some responses. Thanks guys and can't wait to hear from you.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:00 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clayton.ferguson21
Hey everyone! I had some questions to ask. I bought a 2014 GT 5.0 recently and want to start building her up. I am looking for some performance and sound, but mostly just for the fun of driving it around socal. No racing, or anything like that, just fun and loud driving to turn heads.
Been there ....done that! Save "ALL" your money until you can afford an authorized Roush dealer to put on a supercharger! All the other stuff won't even approach being supercharged! It's expensive, but all the other mods add up to big bucks too, and all together they won't make the car run like 575 HP. It also comes with a warrantee! My '08 has had zero problems getting good mileage and great everyday car until you want it to fly!

It will run like grandma's grocery car until you unleash the 575 H.P.! Then you will think you own a Cobra and will be in love! Big H.P. with no downside except using 91 Octane! If you drive like an adult you don't need any other mods like brakes for traffic one time stops! You need a shock tower bar to stop the torque twisting the front end! No big deal!

Last edited by Mr. D; 02-08-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:41 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

A CAI & tune will not *VOID* your warranty, however there have been cases with the 5.0 engine where bad tunes have caused engine damage... and if the tune causes engine damage then the warranty for the engine is voided. Ford will make it difficult to get engine warranty if you have an aftermarket tune. That's why people who are worried about warranty usually go with the ford racing CAI and tune. There are tuning companies that stand behind their tune and cover you if their tune causes engine damage and ford denies you warranty (Bama tunes are one I know do this).

A supercharger will give you the most performance.

You best bet for sound is axle back exhaust. Shorties and long tubes... If you don't get a supercharger or turbo, the general consensus is that shorties don't give you any real performance gains and long tubes give you some, when supercharged or turbo'd the shorties will give some performance gain also. Both will change the exhaust note to something a bit more raw in either case. In CA, all long tubes will fail smog inspection and only some car forward shorties will pass, so you use of those is dependent on how many hoops you are willing to jump through when it's time for a smog inspection... with a 2014, you've got at least 5 years before you have to deal with a smog anyway. High flow cats are technically illegal in CA, because none have received a CARB EO number, they will most like pass the actual emissions test, but depending on how thorough the smog technician is in the visual test, they will fail if he notices them.
Not trying to be a killjoy, just want you to know the technicalities to make your decision.