California Regional Chapter Chapter President: Matt's 95 Stang

Sports Car Sharing Club in the San Francisco Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:35 PM
drondinone

Default Sports Car Sharing Club in the San Francisco Bay Area

My name is David, and I am new to this forum. I am not an owner of a Mustang, although I have recently driven the GT Convertible and enjoyed it. I have owned sports cars all my life (starting with a beater Datsun 280Z, currently a Corvette ZR1, and lots in between), but have always wanted to have access to a variety of sports cars without having to personally own them all. So, I am looking to start a local sports car sharing club in the San Francisco Bay Area (I am in Berkeley). I would like to find at least 3 other like minded car nuts to join me. I have developed a few different business models, and think this would be a fun way to share some awesome cars with others who share my passion.

If you have any interest please post here or email me directly. I would be happy to answer questions and share my ideas/models. I imagine there must be plenty of people in my area who may not have the means or desire to fully own a sports car but would love regular part time access to one at a reasonable investment/cost.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:18 AM
drondinone

The closest things that exists in the Bay Area are Club Sportiva, and Fast Toys. They both work on the principle that you pay for a membership, and get credits to spend with the club to rent fun cars. The advantage of these clubs is that they are already established and have a collection of nice cars already. The downside is they are very expensive to participate in. For example, with Club Sportive you could rent a Porsche Boxster S for about $1000 for a three day weekend, or a Ferrari 458 for about $4500. I believe that their bulk buy membership ($20k) may give up to a 50% discount, meaning that for the two weekends, the cost would be nearly $3000. Fast Toys appears to have a slightly lower cost by requiring annual memberships, but to access the cars for more than a few days each month you essentially have to come up with $2500/month, giving you about four to eight days and just under 300 miles per month. By comparison, if you can get four people to invest $50k each, they could pay about $750 per month to drive each of these same cars for a full week each month. The difference is that the investors participate in the running of the club and the overhead is kept low. If you can get eight people together, you can pool the investments to provide a larger assortment of sports cars that the members can access all the time, still keeping the monthly dues around $750. The key is to buy the cars lightly used, and the keep the overhead low.