California Regional Chapter Chapter President: Matt's 95 Stang

Point me in the right direction to non-ADM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 03:03 PM
RPMaddict

Default Point me in the right direction to non-ADM?

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I have owned 4 Camaros in Gen 4, 5 and 6. My latest is a ZL1. I am also a W2W racer in the United States Touring Car Championships. I am a track addict. Having one of the first ZL1's to come into California, I began chipping away at all the top lap times in non-modded production cars at the NorCal area tracks. I'm growing a little bored with the supercharger and need something a little different to keep my interest piqued. So, within about 24 hours, I decided it's time to give the GT350 a whirl. Problem is, I can't find any dealers without mark-ups. It's a new problem for me as I've always bought my Camaros at dealer cost. I guess I should just give in to the hype and do what most do and pay the premium to get in the game, but it's really more of principle to me.

Admittedly, I was surprised to see the Shelby 350 still demanding ADM with the 500 right around the corner. I am willing to drive a few hours to find the right deal. I guess, if it's just a damned California thing, I can find one out of state and ship it for a lot less than the greedy-azz dealers are demanding around here.

Have you any advice? Connections for MSRP? I have not spent the 48 hours required to go through all the posts at this point to see if it's been discussed ad nausea. I am hoping someone will just humor me and chime in. With that said, any advice??

Thanks in advance

Rob
Old 05-31-2019, 04:14 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I bought mine from a dealer in Texas and looked at one in Mississippi, both for MSRP. They are out there especially in smaller markets, not that Dallas is a small market. They were saturated with cars and couldn't get rid of them. That was in 2017. As you know California is just special in just about everything. Couldn't pay me to live there for any amount of money. You might try my dealer now in Mandiville LA, Banner Ford. I haven't checked in with them lately but they had a red one that sat on the lot for about 5 months. Just expand your search and call dealers. That is what I did until I found one that would deal. The GT350 is amazing, the sound alone is worth the money. You won't be able to buy a GT500 for about 2 years I'm guessing before it settles down. Shame.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:20 PM
RPMaddict

I sincerely appreciate that proeagles. I'll check your dealer. Yes, California is special. I despise it in ways I cannot articulate.

I just got off the line with a local dealer with an R. $20K markup. He feels horrible about it. Says he only gets 1 a year and the owner pays flooring on it until it sells at that amount. Then they use the ADM to buy everyone pizza & beer. I guess that's how they sleep at night.

I have an opportunity to pick up a '17 R at $55 with 10K miles. I don't quite yet understand all the differences between the years, other than the 19's non- R is pretty much as good as past years R's with a little more comfort. Any idea on that?
Old 05-31-2019, 09:48 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

You want 2017 and up and I wouldn't waste money on the R quite frankly. They are really rare and have serious markups. They aren't any faster if equipped with similar tires and have the same engine, same transmission, diff, etc. The 19's have the same tires. The only real difference is weight with a rear seat delete which you can do with the standard GT350. The aero package is a little more trick on the R but for $10K it just isn't worth it to me.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:55 PM
RPMaddict

I think you might be right on that. The one item that I most wanted out of the R (besides the wheels of course) is the seats. I have found good race Recaros are so much better to keep you planted in the seat with a 3-point belt than the standard. If somebody had a differing opinion I'd love to hear it. That said, I have found a dealer about 3 hours away with a Performance Blue non R willing to do the deal at MSRP. Just need to decide whether to pull the trigger or not. I do love that orange for 2019!
Old 06-01-2019, 09:20 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

The Recaro seats are standard in all of them. The blue car probably has the tech package with navigation and the GT seats which I prefer since I'm comfortably built. You can find a GT350 with the Recaro seats, it just won't have the bells and whistles.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:40 PM
RPMaddict

So, regarding the seats, this is what I was talking about between the R and the regular GT350. It appears that these have less bolstering? Admittedly the only R I've sat in was a '17. This says they are the $500 upgraded leather. Anybody have an opinion on these for track?

https://attachment.outlook.live.net/...animation=true
Old 06-01-2019, 10:07 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Those are the extra seats as that car has the tech package which I prefer. Honestly, I've driven both and I find these seats to be just fine. They are way more comfortable. If you buy a new GT350 by the way, you will get one free day at the Ford Racing School in Utah in a GT350 courtesy of Ford.