Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

The Grand Canyon! On My HOOD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 AM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

Default The Grand Canyon! On My HOOD!!!

Arrgh!!!

Hood spears on order, when they get in it's off to the body shop.
The only way to keep them perfect is to not drive them, and that ain't gonna happen. The chips I can live with (sort of) but this one hurt my feelings.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:14 AM
SHOHORSE
5th Gear Member

Larry...What hit you?..Rock.. brick..tree limb.. small farm animal..
Old 08-26-2011, 09:44 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Wow, that really sucks Larry. I know that did hurt.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:30 AM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

I don't know what hit it, I certainly don't remember running into any rock-wielding maniacs but I guess it could have happend. You would think I'd have the image seared - SEARED! - into my memory if it had happened on the road.
My oldest son was mowing the yard the day I found it, and since about the only thing that grows in my yard is rocks it's quite possible he chucked a rock without knowing. It would have had to make it past my daughter's POS Pontiac to get to the 'stang, but I guess it could happen if the angle was just right.
I also took it to work the day before, it's possible that something hit it while it was in the parking lot, but you would think I'd notice it as I put the cover on it when I got home in the morning.
At any rate, I found a body shop that comes well recommended, he says he can pull the hood off of it and get to the dent from the backside, smooth it back out with a minimum of filler, and paint match the whole thing before it goes back on. Hopefully that means the repair will be invisible.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:52 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

How long before the body shop will get to your car Larry? I know this is killing you, it would me for sure.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:23 AM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

The replacement hood spears came in today, the car goes in the 12th, hopefully I will have it back in time for the HoCMC car show that Saturday.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:34 AM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

Another person trying to kill pigeons with Mustangs...
Old 09-02-2011, 09:47 AM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MythEyeLess
Another person trying to kill pigeons with Mustangs...
Pigeons, rocks, sticks, the occasional possum or squirrel...

Bugs. Lots of bugs.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:00 PM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

I used to know this guy who restored cars. He said that if u placed dry ice on that bump that the ice would help the metal straighten again. He went on to say that it shouldnt damage the paint, but probably best if you place a cloth of some sort just in case. I think you should try that, dry ice is cheaper then body shops and if it doesnt help then it still doesnt matter because u were going to fix it anyhow... My 2 cents.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:09 AM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MythEyeLess
I used to know this guy who restored cars. He said that if u placed dry ice on that bump that the ice would help the metal straighten again. He went on to say that it shouldnt damage the paint, but probably best if you place a cloth of some sort just in case. I think you should try that, dry ice is cheaper then body shops and if it doesnt help then it still doesnt matter because u were going to fix it anyhow... My 2 cents.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out to take out the dent anyway, but since the paint was gouged I'd have to have it painted either way (there is touch-up paint on it in the photo).

Quick Reply: The Grand Canyon! On My HOOD!!!