Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

St Jude event

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 PM
jayman33
Banned

Default St Jude event

Alan, after asking my wife to get with her contacts on this event she came back to me the next day with a slew of ideas. She has already contacted multiple dragstrips in hopes to see if there is any openings in the distant future (6 or so months). From what I gathered in her babble (I'm her husband so I only listen to key words), Fayetteville and Hickory have openings this year. Before Kristen and I dig any further I would like to get some ideas and, try not to step on any toes.

I don't know what kind of planning or ideas have already been established for this event and I would like to get everyone's thoughts. I'm hoping we can discuss some ideas and possibilities this Saturday during the SC GTG. What do you guys think?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Jason, we don't have any concrete plans yet. There have been several ideas - car shows being one. i think John had said something about one in the Fayetteville area. I emailed GT500 Steve about the possibility of having a car show in the Asheville area. He has some ideas but that is as far as we have gotten. I have never hosted a car show before, so I am hoping someone in our group has some contacts that can help us along. Do we make it all Ford or open it up to every one? Do we offer trophies or just make it a charity event?

Jeff had mention having a dyno day. I know Pro-Dyno in Fort Mill, SC usually draws a big crowd when the Cobra guys show up. I will try to contact them tomorrow to see what they say about a fund raising day there. I know Larry and the Heart of Carolina Mustang Club has had a dyno day in the Raleigh area. I guess we could make it an all Ford day or just make it a muscle car day.

A dragstrip day(s) could be a lot of fun as well. I don't have a problem with pursuing that either. It actually would be a lot of fun.

Jeff, John, Larry and I went to VIR for Charity Laps that benefitted Ronald McDonald house. I don't know if Kristen has any contacts there but that would be a blast. Carolinas Motorsports Park in Kershaw might be willing to host something for us. Clint lives the closest to them I believe. Maybe he could drop by and see where their heart is.

I had spoken with Jeff about multiple events and then having another raffle at the dam in the spring. It was a lot of work in a short amount of time, but with a little more planning and time we could really do well I believe.

I spoke with St. Jude last Friday. I had hoped to be able to source some goods (t-shirts, hats, etc.) to sell at whatever events we hold as a source of generating funds. But it seems they are a bit reluctant to get too deep with first time fund raisers. I guess they have been burned in the past. I shared with them our efforts with WWP and that seeme to get some attention. I will contact them again unless Kristen has some pull we should take advantage of.

We should think of what are we going to do to raise funds. Naturally we can take donations, as stated above I had hoped to have "items" to sell. We will have entry fees to the car shows, dyno days (which can be car shows as well) and drag days. But what else can we use to generate funds? Do we buy gift cards and raffle them? I think it is way too early to go back to the vendors that supported us in the spring.

I think we will have quite a bit of administrative costs with multiple events. We need to consider that as well. We shouldered the entire amount of shipping, postage, supplies, etc. for the WWP event.

Thank you for posting this and getting discussions underway. We can discuss live on Saturday and see what happens.

Last edited by alan0614; 05-24-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 PM
jayman33
Banned

Multiple events could work. Kristen is going to contact St. Jude directly (Charlotte office), she shouldn't have too much of a problem seeing how the fishing tournament was an 8th annual event and they just wrote St. Jude a 10k plus check. She'll get in touch with them next week tuesday/ wednesday. I'm used to extra costs, but its for a great cause.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:02 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

If you guys could set up a show and drag day a Charlotte dragway count me in.

I know you all are Carolina boys / girls but Bristol has a heck of a facility and if it was advertised locally a possibility of a huge turnout. They are always doing something but its pretty much always packed. I just got back from the street fights. Look it up
Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BWfVA
If you guys could set up a show and drag day a Charlotte dragway count me in.

I know you all are Carolina boys / girls but Bristol has a heck of a facility and if it was advertised locally a possibility of a huge turnout. They are always doing something but its pretty much always packed. I just got back from the street fights. Look it up
Thanks, we'll keep that in mind as well. We are having a G2G this weekend where we will be going over this.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Someone take notes on Saturday so I can keep up.

Jason, it sounds like Kristen has some great ideas.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

I just printed out this thread for tomorrow. I gotcha.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Hellbound
1st Gear Member

wait whats happening on the 26 aka tomorrow?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Columbia South Carolina Get Together.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Hellbound
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_GT
Columbia South Carolina Get Together.
are you going?

Quick Reply: St Jude event