Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Whiteline Watts Link Review

Old 10-26-2012, 05:40 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Default Whiteline Watts Link Review

So first things first, we all know that we want to feel "something different" after doing mods to our cars, but i also am a firm believer that you know more about YOUR car than anyone else, so suttle differences can often be magnified by the owners own driving habits, etc, etc.
Personally after owning 2 lowered Mustangs, riding in several with watts links and everything i have read and understand about centering these cars, i'm not a fan of Adj. panhard bars. I understand they are a viable and cost effective solution, but i like the firm, planted feeling of a watts link, so that was the route i chose to go.

I did not partake in the install, it was done by Piedmont Custom Mortorsports.

Initial thoughts-I can't say enough about the packaging and care that Whiteline takes in shipping their products. To me, it seemed like everything was handled and packed as if; "There is no way in (H E double hockey sticks) anything is going to arrive to you damaged!" HUGE points Whiteline!!
I've seen other watts links already installed (mostly Techo's) and the overall quality of parts is definitely up there as well.

Install-The guys at PCM all had good things to say about the product, especially the design and the overall durability of the system. They have installed other watts links on cars specifically for track/auto-cross and said that the Whiteline product looked just as durable (if not more so) than some of the others they have installed. Overall, they were impressed at how easy the install was. We had a few chuckles about the OEM brace and panhard, which I had no idea was filled with a sandbag to help offset curb weight. I was amazed at how flimsy the OEM system was, especially the OEM brace. Glad they are gone!!

Driving Impressions-I was looking for excuses to test out the watts link on the way home, mind you...not many of the roads around Raleigh are that chopped up with construction and being close to rush hour was going to limit any "spirited" driving. Not that i had to wait long, there are train tracks on the main road to the shop, so i was curious if a watts link improved any wheel hop or how well it worked ini unison with the shocks and springs. It's night and day!!! The car feels A LOT softer, yet firmer. It felt as if the rear wheels were almost adapting to the conditions vs. bouncing in reaction. This was VERY noticable the rest of the way home with uneven pavement. It just seemed like all of the suspension was working and adjusting in unison vs. reacting to the conditions.
So now to test a turn or two...lane diving (as i call it) is one of my fav things to do! Nothing like being @ highway speed and just diving over into the next lane w/o losing control of the car. A few of these and i was giggling at how firmly planted the car felt! Next i decided to take a few sharp turns (nothing crazy just a full 20mph, no brake sling) and WOW! i thought the car was on rails when it was lowered, but this is just ridiculous!! I've never driven a car that snaps thru a turn like this! The car isn't on rails anymore...it's GLUED to the road!!

Whiteline, i must say you make a fantastic product, but i can't wait to get the Pony on the track in 2 weeks and turn that giggle into laughter at how well the car handles! =)
I'll report back after that with more thoughts!

Last edited by steel pony; 10-26-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:08 PM
WHITELINE USA
Former Sponsor

Glad to hear! Can't wait to see some good reviews once you hit the track!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Ok......So now I need a Watts link. Frick'n wife is going to kill me!

Edit:
I've been looking at the diff covers with girdle support and it looks like the Whiteline Watts Link has that built in. How awesome is that, two for one. Now, how do I convince the wife?

Last edited by Sleeper_GT; 10-26-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:14 PM
uin2it
3rd Gear Member

Lol @ John....I know tbe feeling

Clark, I may have to take a ride in it sometime!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Widow Maker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_GT
Ok......So now I need a Watts link. Frick'n wife is going to kill me!

Edit:
I've been looking at the diff covers with girdle support and it looks like the Whiteline Watts Link has that built in. How awesome is that, two for one. Now, how do I convince the wife?
Let me know when you are going to convince Jennie, that way I can be sure Heather is standing close by....LMAO... that worked so damn good last time....haha. Now she's asking me what am I gonna do next for mods...I think she's getting into it now, especially when she helps put the new parts on... she had the tail lights pulled out before the UPS delivered my new ones!!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:32 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

What lights did you get?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Widow Maker
Let me know when you are going to convince Jennie, that way I can be sure Heather is standing close by....LMAO... that worked so damn good last time....haha. Now she's asking me what am I gonna do next for mods...I think she's getting into it now, especially when she helps put the new parts on... she had the tail lights pulled out before the UPS delivered my new ones!!!!
I'm working a plan now....Stand-by.....
Old 10-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Widow Maker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
What lights did you get?
I got the Raxiom smoked tail lights and the Raxiom Smoked Projected lights with the Halo... pretty damn sweet looking!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Widow Maker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_GT
I'm working a plan now....Stand-by.....
LMAO....standing-by.... with a note pad ready to take notes if I have to...haha
Old 10-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

I think the only way I'm going to pull this off is selling a rifle, that or get a payment plan from Whiteliine. This one is a tough sell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whiteline Watts Link Review