Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Couple car issues ya'll may be able to help me diagnose...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:08 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

Default Couple car issues ya'll may be able to help me diagnose...

Good morning Carolina MF Crew:

I'm having a few new noises that I can't seem to diagnose, and if I can't figure it out I'm planning on taking the car to the shop in a few hours.

Here are the symptoms. There are two separate noises that are occurring, and I haven't figured either out.

- Noise 1: There is an audible pop when I engage the brake strongly (moderate to hard braking). It doesn't do it when I come to a slow, gradual stop. I've looked it up and found nothing. It doesn't affect the braking performance at all (if it does, it's not noticeable). My only idea at this point is that the brake piston is sticking or something, but I feel like I would notice that in performance. I haven't pinpointed which wheel it's coming from.

- Noise 2: Just started yesterday. I washed the car on Sunday and it started the next time I drove it (highly doubtful that was the reasoning but still haha). Essentially it is a knocking noise that occurs when the car is in motion. It is directly related to the speed of the car (increases in frequency at higher speeds), so my immediate reaction was that something was stuck in the wheel well or something, but that's not the case. I messed with it a bit more, and figured out that if I turn to the right the noise stops while the wheel is turned. It doesn't stop when I turn to the left. It also doesn't matter if the car is in gear or if the brake is engaged. This one really has me confused...

So, I think that is all the information that I have gleaned. Anyone have any ideas before I take her in?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Bushings giving way sounds like the popping sound. I've had the ticking in another car and couldn't ever figure out what caused it. Sorry.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:25 PM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

Check your front wheel bearings.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:11 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

All is better now, except for my wallet. It was the caliper slide pin. It had seized up so the brake wasn't releasing properly. The knocking noise was the brake pad flopping around between the caliper and the rotor, and when I braked it would be pushed up against the rotor so it didn't make the sound (I realized this after I posted it), and when I turned I guess the force of the turn pushed it to either side so it didn't knock.

They managed to pull the seized slide pins out, which apparently is lucky because sometimes they break, and install new ones. So, the lesson is that when you work on your brakes, greasing the slide pins is key.

I'm not sure what the popping sound was, but it had to be related to this (just started earlier) because it has stopped now too.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

That shouldn't have cost too much. and yes greasing those things is a step I usually do when working on the brakes.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Glad you are back on the road Hunter.