Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Mental Health

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM
BigWave916
1st Gear Member

Default Mental Health

Work has really been gettin' to me this week. I've been stressed to the max preparing for a customer meeting for yesterday, the meeting itself, and the aftermath, I needed a break. (my apologies to the unemployed, I know in this economy I'm lucky to have a job)

The weather is great today considering that it is January. So I decided to take a long lunch and run the Cobra up Hwy 42 from Broadway to Fuquay-Varina. I stopped at a place called the Aviator and had a couple of beers and a burger with a ton of other meats on it.

Then I ran across Hwy 55 to US 1 in Apex to head south and complete the loop back to Sanford. I stopped by the house to see if the dog needed to re-mark his territory in the yard. After 80 miles and a little more than 2 hours I'm back to work and I'm mentally recharged and ready to goof off the rest of the day and then hit it real hard again tomorrow.

I was thinking how great it is to get out for a little mental health improvement. How just a short ride in the car can improve my outlook, and how it would be even greater to put the top down. Then I realized if I ever go out on a nice day and put the top down there is no way I'm going back to work after lunch.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Originally Posted by BigWave916
Work has really been gettin' to me this week. I've been stressed to the max preparing for a customer meeting for yesterday, the meeting itself, and the aftermath, I needed a break. (my apologies to the unemployed, I know in this economy I'm lucky to have a job)

The weather is great today considering that it is January. So I decided to take a long lunch and run the Cobra up Hwy 42 from Broadway to Fuquay-Varina. I stopped at a place called the Aviator and had a couple of beers and a burger with a ton of other meats on it.

Then I ran across Hwy 55 to US 1 in Apex to head south and complete the loop back to Sanford. I stopped by the house to see if the dog needed to re-mark his territory in the yard. After 80 miles and a little more than 2 hours I'm back to work and I'm mentally recharged and ready to goof off the rest of the day and then hit it real hard again tomorrow.

I was thinking how great it is to get out for a little mental health improvement. How just a short ride in the car can improve my outlook, and how it would be even greater to put the top down. Then I realized if I ever go out on a nice day and put the top down there is no way I'm going back to work after lunch.
My sister in law lives in Broadway too. Small world.

Yeah, sometimes it's so refreshing just to burn up some gas and clear all the BS from your brain.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

I think we have all been in your position. I am so ready to get home and take a drive this weekend. I have had customers in town this week and am going to Detroit next week. So a recharge is definitely in order.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alan0614
I think we have all been in your position. I am so ready to get home and take a drive this weekend. I have had customers in town this week and am going to Detroit next week. So a recharge is definitely in order.

Oh, I forgot to offer to babysit the Shelby while you're gone. Just drop it off on Sunday. LOL.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:50 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
Oh, I forgot to offer to babysit the Shelby while you're gone. Just drop it off on Sunday. LOL.
Its ok, it will be safe with Jeff. Remember he hardly drove JJ's car when he had it.

Wish I could do that, step out side, crank it up, and then realize that I'm driving a kia rio. Not so relaxing if its not your DD. Hell I don't even have the car right now Jessie does
Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Honestly, you loose some of the joy when it's your DD. Until you do things like take on the Dragon or like what BigWave did just go drive it instead of go somewhere. If that makes any sense.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:49 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Finding a nice hilly curvy road with no traffic while having your favorite tunes playing will always turn my mood from gloomy to....sometimes euphoric....to the point where I sometimes don't even want to head towards home. It's harder and harder to find driving pleasant these days. Roads are packed with idiots who are more occupied with the phone call they are on or the text they are sending.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigWave916

I can relate. My schedule is pretty hectic, and when the week finally winds down on Sunday I can't wait to get behind the wheel of the hot rod and go for a drive. Especially in the evenings.... radio up, windows down, stars out... now THATS living!!

It's either a relaxing drive or take it to the dragstrip and beat the crap out of it... lol. Yeah, I know... complete 180... But both of them are a total escape from whatever is going on at the moment.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
Honestly, you loose some of the joy when it's your DD. Until you do things like take on the Dragon or like what BigWave did just go drive it instead of go somewhere. If that makes any sense.
So I should use this IOT (In Order To) get a different DD. LOL
Old 01-10-2013, 07:36 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_GT
So I should use this IOT (In Order To) get a different DD. LOL
But of course, are you still on the hunt for a Cobra?

My daily driver has 175 HP, so when I get into the Mustang it is really a treat for me.