Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:32 AM
BigWave916
1st Gear Member

Restoring my daughter's 1983 El Camino "Project Jesus"
Name:  IMG00143-20120803-0750.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  189.3 KB

In my spare time, I'm looking at blue stripes for the Cobra.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigWave916
Restoring my daughter's 1983 El Camino "Project Jesus"

In my spare time, I'm looking at blue stripes for the Cobra.
OK Dave, you have to give more info on "Project Jesus".
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 AM
BigWave916
1st Gear Member

Project Jesus started in 2005. The objective at that time was to repaint my daughters 1983 El Camino Conquista that she had driven during her high school years. The thing was showing a lot of rust, especially around some old body work that had been done. The car had been repainted at least once before.

In an effort to save it before it got worse, I got all gung-ho and had the car media blasted to get it ready for bodywork and then paint. Unfortunately, a new job had me away from home and I was so busy that I couldn't spend any time on the car and it sat bare metal in the garage in Wisconsin and began to rust.

I made up my mind that this would be a graduation present for her when she received her bachelor's degree but with our work and financial situation it just never happened. Now that she's earned her graduate degree, I've got to get it done.

The car is pretty solid except for some quarter panel rust on one side near the wheel well and the area where the bed rails attach. Some body work had been done on the drivers door and one corner near the tailgate that had rust coming out from under the bondo. Of course there is a lot of surface rust from sitting un-painted/un-primed.

Looks like all the rubber will have to be replaced around the doors and probably the glass. The interior is pretty shabby and the dash is cracked.

The original 305 and automatic tranny have a lot of miles on them, over 200k, so both were yanked and I bought a GM Crate motor and found a turbo 350 tranny for it.

Instead of bolting a bunch of worn out stuff to a brand new motor we replaced the distributor, starter, alternator, fuel pump, water pump, added an Edelbrock intake and 4 barrel. All belts and hoses were replaced. We installed a new air conditioning compressor and all new lines for that. We replaced the exhaust system from the manifolds on back.

I had planned to take a course at the local community college in auto restoration. You use their facility, tools, and paint booth, but I decided this needed professional attention. I still don’t have a garage and my tools and equipment are in storage.
Next step is to have Bo’s Restoration here in town tear it apart for a proper body paint and paint resto.

Daughter's wish list:

Killer stereo

Security system

Bucket seats and console (Camel, or Sandalwood)

Gold powder coat on Chevy Ralley wheels, with new trim rings and new center caps

1972 Chevy Midnight Bronze metallic paint

Tonneau cover (probably black)

All new carpetiing and interior panels (Camel, or Sandalwood)
Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Project Jesus Sounds like a fun project.

I have a couple of things lying around that I need to install on the Mustang but I'm waiting for it to stop raining / being cold.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 PM
BigWave916
1st Gear Member

The fun is knowing you have raised offspring who appreciate things mechanical and fun cars. I was so thrilled when we first discussed her first car and she said "Dad, can I get an El Camino" My first new car was a '72 El Camino, so my little girl got her wish.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigWave916
The fun is knowing you have raised offspring who appreciate things mechanical and fun cars. I was so thrilled when we first discussed her first car and she said "Dad, can I get an El Camino" My first new car was a '72 El Camino, so my little girl got her wish.
Very cool. Can't wait to see it when it's done.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:10 PM
uin2it
3rd Gear Member

This weekend I will be working on installing my Ford Factory backup camera on my F150...the one with the 3.5" monitor in the rearview mirror & Camera in the tailgate badge.

Once that's done then I will be drilling the holes in my new GT/CS rear valance for the stock reverse sensors to go in. Then installing the valance onto the car.

It's rough trying to mod two 5.0's!! lol

Last edited by uin2it; 01-30-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:07 PM
tango7
1st Gear Member

sounds good guys... I should have some pictures of my centers by the weekend... I am debating on putting the pulley on the eaton now or waiting another month. I dyno it a couple of weeks ago and it made 442 to the wheels. I am hoping for around 490 with a 2.8 pulley..
Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
We bought the wife an XDs, great shooting, small frame, .45.
Originally Posted by Widow Maker
My carry weapon is a Colt Defender .45
Nice sub compact that conceals well and packs some power!
Not a fan of the XD's just don't like the palm safety. I know it doesn't interfere with operation, but I still have to look at it.

Don't know about the colt brand, might have to check them out, but the beavertail looks like it would get in the way.

Right now I've got an SR9, thinking about the SR9c or SR40c. Its still a little big though. Think the M&P compact would be good too if it wasn't 800. Also looking at FN since some of them are made in Columbia, gotta support the locals!

And Dave, love the signature block!!!!! I laughed pretty hard.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM
tango7
1st Gear Member

The guy sent me a picture of the centers today..
Name:  IMG953967.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  38.3 KB

Quick Reply: What are you working on?