Old 05-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

I believe it was an HEI and had a Holley Double Pumper
Old 05-15-2013, 01:09 PM
SHOHORSE
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DK Pony
74 could have a point style distributor. Z28's and mid year standard Camaros got the HEI.
If it has points you will need a dwell meter to check the timing.
Also depending on the engine it could have a Q-jet carb and they are a major PITA if they are not shown some love
Dave...It has what looked to be a 650 duel pump Holly. Not 100% sure on the CFM.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Cockygt500
3rd Gear Member

I have a rebuilt from quadrajet 4barrel and adaptor plate to a Holley style bore intake, I can donate to the cause if y'all need it. I will have to get my wife to check and see if I have any other parts left over from my C10 in my shop. Might be something else I can throw in since I will not be home until July and will miss the fun.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:25 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

If it's an HEI it puts out 40K volts. BE CAREFUL GUYS!! I say this because I was working on a 78 Z28 and it had a miss. I reached down to pull a plug wire and found the problem. The engine was running and every time it hit I held on tighter. I couldn't let go. My knees gave out and I fell beside the car and pulled the wire loose but it seriously would have killed me.
Also they are bad for the coil to go out and the rotor to burn a hole in the pickup.

As far as a Holley (POS in my opinion, but to each his own) make sure you have a power valve or two because if it pops through the carb it's done.

Oh and CockyGT500 mentioned a Quadrajet. Most of the Holley carbs were square flange carbs and all four holes the same size which required either an adapter or a new intake. The factory GM intakes were spread bore for the Q-jet (bigger holes in back and smaller in the front) which was the whole thing with the Q-jet.
You could get a Holley (4160 if I remember right) that was a spread bore but was much more expensive than the square flange

And one thing really odd about a 74. It was the only year they used a seat belt interlock system. You couldn't start the car without the seat belt being buckled. You could disable it pretty easy but it did have it and can really **** you off if you dont know about it and are trying to get a car running.

Last edited by DK Pony; 05-15-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:53 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

If you want to look up anything about the 74.

http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro74.php#engine
Old 05-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the info bro-ham
Old 05-15-2013, 03:35 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

.....NP
Old 05-17-2013, 06:40 AM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

IIRC it had a square-bore intake manifold as well. Under the hood looked clean, it looks like the mods were done right, no corners cut. As far as the fuel filter goes, don't get the stock one...the stock one is for the Q-jet that is no longer on the car. Best thing is to take the old one with you when you go to the parts store. +1 on the power valves, and I agree about the Holley, I have an Edelbrock that needs some choke parts but it's a spreadbore (I think it's a 1403 but I'd have to look again).

I don't think the car is in that bad of shape. Fluids and filters, fresh gas and I think she'll run. The one thing that concerns me is, if it's an auto, the valves might be sticky and it won't go into gear or won't shift into the higher gears. Good thing is the TH-350 trans is easy to come by and easy to swap (and while you have it out, a shift kit and performance torque converter is not very expensive). I love my 'stang, but man that 350 sb/TH350 trans combination is hard to beat for mod-ability. Back in the day Chevy did some things right...

Might want to pick up an assortment of vacuum hoses as well, 2-3 feet of each size should be plenty, along with 2-3 feet of the appropriate size fuel line (looked like 3/8" but check to make sure). Also, header and collector gaskets. Steel tube headers on Chevy engines tend to leak after a while, and as long as it's been sitting I wouldn't be surprised if they're dried out. That can wait until the car is running, though.

When you do get the darn thing running make sure you have someone who will drive it around a bit. They don't like to sit, as you have found out. Up and down the road isn't enough, it needs to get out on the highway and run at speed to stretch its legs a bit, you should get at least a tank of gas through it every month to keep the carb from gumming up.

Of course when your cousin gets old enough that shouldn't be a problem...
Old 05-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

seems like we have a bunch of closet Chevy guys around here. LOL.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:53 AM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
seems like we have a bunch of closet Chevy guys around here. LOL.
My first Ford was just over a year ago when I bought the 08 vert. Well, back in 85 I had a 71 Pinto but I don't think the Ford guys even claim that one. Up until then I was GM all the way. Now I have a Dodge and a Ford.
When I drove the first Mustang up to my Dad's house he opened the door and came out and saw it and just turned around and went back in and closed the door.
Now he is liking the Stangs after seeing all our cars.
I probably can find some parts for that 74. Starter, Alternator, maybe a factory intake or two, exhaust manifolds, distributors, etc. I would have to go take an inventory of what I actually have at Dad's.

Quick Reply: Camaro Fix-Up G2G in Fort Mill, SC - July 13th