Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

First Pass Woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:10 PM
'88FoxLX

Default First Pass Woes

Well I made my first pass ever this past weekend at ware shoals drag way. The first pass went pretty good, instead of a burnout i just turned the tires over a couple times to make sure they were clean. Pulled up to the line and made a pass without any problems.
Well i jumped in the staging lanes again for a second pass. This time i was going to go ahead and do a proper burn out to clean the tires and heat them up. Well i dropped the clutch and went to the brake, the car went into a violent shake and started to hop instead of a smooth burnout. I pulled off the line and went to the pits, couldn't find anything wrong.
So i watched to rest of the night and when i went to leave i noticed that when i hit bumps in the parking lot the rear felt extremely stiff like it was sitting on bump stops. Didn't think much of it but when i got out of the parking lot i noticed that every time i shifted, the car bounced like it had no shocks on the rear. long story short i left it at the track and towed it home the next day.
Well today i took the rear end out and the shocks, springs, control arms, and mounts looked fine. I don't know what else to look at. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by '88FoxLX
Well I made my first pass ever this past weekend at ware shoals drag way. The first pass went pretty good, instead of a burnout i just turned the tires over a couple times to make sure they were clean. Pulled up to the line and made a pass without any problems.
Well i jumped in the staging lanes again for a second pass. This time i was going to go ahead and do a proper burn out to clean the tires and heat them up. Well i dropped the clutch and went to the brake, the car went into a violent shake and started to hop instead of a smooth burnout. I pulled off the line and went to the pits, couldn't find anything wrong.
So i watched to rest of the night and when i went to leave i noticed that when i hit bumps in the parking lot the rear felt extremely stiff like it was sitting on bump stops. Didn't think much of it but when i got out of the parking lot i noticed that every time i shifted, the car bounced like it had no shocks on the rear. long story short i left it at the track and towed it home the next day.
Well today i took the rear end out and the shocks, springs, control arms, and mounts looked fine. I don't know what else to look at. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You need to inspect the control arm bushings really well. You might have torn them up.

Here's a quick and easy fix if it's just the control arms:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...nsion-kit.html

It's less likely, but possible that you damaged the torque boxes. They can be welded and reinforced with this kit.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-h...e-box-kit.html

It sounds like you really need someone who knows Mustangs to inspect the car. If you were local, I would do it for free and it would take around ten minutes.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:05 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Good call Sharad.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by '88FoxLX

I am assuming it is a fox body, what kind of tires were you on and how much power are you making? Did you drive it again after you got it home?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 PM
'88FoxLX

Yes its a fox body sorry about not including that. but its a factory 5.0 with the t5 only mod is bbk shorties and bbk x-pipe. I'm running nitto NT555r. but i took all the control arms out today when i dropped the rear and everything looked good. im going to inspect everything again tomorrow and have a couple buddies comin over to help so maybe we can figure it out. it was suggested to me to check the trans mount because if that broke it could be lifting the trans when i shift and causing a pinion angle change which could cause the "bouncing". i did drive it today after i took everything apart and put it back together and nothing changed so hopefully ill be able to figure it out tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Sounds about right....
Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Check the u joints while you're under there.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:57 PM
'88FoxLX

well i believe i figured it out. the trans mount has a huge amount of play in it so I'm gonna replace it. couple questions though…should i go poly or rubber on the trans mount? should i replace the motor mounts as well? if so poly or rubber on the motor mounts? guessing i should use the same on both. thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 10:35 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

OK guys, what say you? I don't know.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

It doesnt matter, the transmission mount provides very little rotational support. If this a full time drag vehicle then go poly on all of them, if its a dd then keeping the motor on poly and the transmission on rubber will help cut down on nvh as the trans mount is right under your seat. You can mix and match as you please.

Quick Reply: First Pass Woes