Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Thinking of selling/trading my GT500

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 02:19 AM
Poppacapp
2nd Gear Member

Default Thinking of selling/trading my GT500

Well.. it has been weighing on my mind alot since my trip to Dragging Rights at Fayetteville Motorsports Park on November 16th. 3hr drive... on the way there was a good trip.. excited to do some 1/4 mile runs, although I did not expect anything good on the Nitto 555r's.. not a good launching tire, although great on the highway..

So, I get there and have a good day, and met a few other forum members from another forum. ran a total of 4 times, and as expected.. no traction.

Then comes my trip home... a 3 hour drive, and alot of time to think. A little back story for you... I used to drag race a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse AWD back in the late 90's, early 2000's. It was a pretty quick car.. the guy I sold it to fixed a 3rd gear grind issue I had with it, and ran high 10's in it.. my best was 11.46@123mph..

Anyway.. it was a money pit... racing has a way of making you want to throw more horsepower at it and break more parts at the track.. that is the reason I got out of drag racing those years ago.. took too much money/time.

So back to my 3 hour drive home.. I thought to myself, "What if I broke something?" "I am back in the same routine I was in years ago... keep throwing money into mods and eventually the money pit begins"

I won't be able to keep the car, and not do more to it. I currently daily drive the car, and it has been a great car, although spending 100-150/week on gas can take it's toll.

So most likely I will decide to part ways with the car, and put some money back to purchase a couple of acres of land to build my dream home on when I get close to retirement.

I MAY try to sell the car with the current mods/rwhp(690rwhp/687tq), or I think I might take it to Dan at Pro Dyno and let them take it back to stock for me, to sell or trade for something more sensible. With 3 other women in the household, my driveway space is limited, so to get one, this has to go.

If I decide to take it back to stock, I will most likely sell the parts separately, which will include:

Ford Racing TVS w/ VMP Tuning 2.4" pulley (18psi with stock lower pulley)
** TVS will include fuel rail, and new belt(I used my old belt)
Ford Racing 65mm throttle body/inlet elbow
MGW shifter
JLT 127mm Carbon Fiber CAI
Bob's passenger side Carbon Fiber look oil separator
Carriage House Engineering K-member brace with Torque Limiters
NM2B WOT Box(Not installed... still new)
Steeda Poly Motor mounts 0-3/4" drop adjustable(Not installed, brand new in box)
SCT X3000 Tuner(Will be unmarried and sold after car taken back to stock)

Has Mcleod RXT twin disc clutch/flywheel installed
The car currently has 36,000 miles.

Still not 100% sure.. figuring out asking price etc right now.

One thing I DO love about this car is I was able to meet some great Club members, and make some good friends in the process. I don't have to have a Mustang to go to Lenoir Cruise-Ins
Old 11-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Man sorry to hear this. I would like to say that hooking that much power with the tires you had plus the cooler temps I'm sure wasn't easy.
In the long run you have to do what is right for you. Should you get rid of it I do hope you'll hang around and still come to some GTG's. Because you're right, you don't have to have a Mustang to come to Lenoir. I'll be checking back for you list price......
EDIT:
I don't know why because I'm sure the wife will tell me to pound sand......

Last edited by Sleeper_GT; 11-29-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:26 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I hear ya Mike. As much fun as these cars are to have, there comes a time when you have to allocate the $$ elsewhere. And like you said, the investment was worth it considering the people you meet and the friends you have gained.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:18 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Mike, hate to hear you are considering the sale but your reasoning is more than valid. If you do decide to sell and don't sell the car as is I do want the MGW.

Mustang or not, stay with us on the foruma and join us where you can. You are good people sir.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:34 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

least you have 4 drivers at your house, i currently have a 5/2 car/driver ratio, wonder what it will be like when we have kids lol. Sucks to hear that though. Maybe get a classic?
Old 11-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Poppacapp
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. I will figure out my asking price and post when I decide. If you know of anyone who may be interested in it in its modded state, or return to stock(or just pulley/tune) state, let me know.

Alan,

If I return to stockish, or stock, the MGW is yours. You got dibs.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Poppacapp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
least you have 4 drivers at your house, i currently have a 5/2 car/driver ratio, wonder what it will be like when we have kids lol. Sucks to hear that though. Maybe get a classic?
I am considering a 2013-2014 Ford Fusion currently for the lady to drive, and I will take over her current ride. An EXTREMELY fast 03' Honda Accord. /sarcasm off
Old 11-29-2013, 05:21 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Heard a commercial today that enlightened me. Apparently driving a toyota camry or corolla will make you "cool." Up until this point I thought driving one of those made you "practical."
Old 11-29-2013, 06:31 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Two Cents: I've been there. If you're anything like me and you sell the car, you'll regret it. (and lose buckets of money if you decide to buy another one and start all over)
Old 11-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Poppacapp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Two Cents: I've been there. If you're anything like me and you sell the car, you'll regret it. (and lose buckets of money if you decide to buy another one and start all over)
I am sure I will regret the loss of performance. But I have been in that boat before with the previous money pit... hated getting rid of it, but thinking back on it now, I'm glad I did. Guess it's just a change in priorities.
Land + Dreamhome > Fast car giggles

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling/trading my GT500