Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Might be moving to NC, need some help/info

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Default Might be moving to NC, need some help/info

Hey guys, need a little help if you can. Was just offered a job in Rocky Mount, NC. Do you know anything about the area? Any idea where a good place to live would be? Haven't accepted the offer just yet but it's a very real possibility and would need to move asap. Any info is appreciated guys. Look forward to potentially becoming a part of the Carolina group!
Old 03-19-2014, 12:15 PM
SHOHORSE
5th Gear Member

I thought we had a talk about your sig pic. LOL I'm in Charlotte and no help at all. Good luck
Old 03-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Certain parts of Rocky Mount from what I understand can be a little dicey, then again so can parts of Ohio lol. I used to run a sales route out that way but it's been over a year and don't remember it well. You could look closer to Raleigh if you are willing to travel a little bit to and from work. Maybe if you give us an idea of how far you want to travel back and forth and we can make some suggestions.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:35 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

That's what I've heard. I've heard stay away from downtown Rocky Mount (I am from around Cleveland so I'm really not all too worried). I'm looking to stay as close as possible to Hospira (the company in which I'll be working for). I'd prefer the shortest commute possible as I've done the whole hour+ commute thing and I'm over it lol

Here's a Google Maps location of Hospira

Good suggestion Zodiac! Don't know why I didn't think to post that in the first place.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:16 PM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

If you are from Cleveland then Rocky Mount isn't going to be a challenge for you at all, you will scoff at what they call "traffic".

Last time I was there was about 4 years ago bringing Laura to the hospital there, we used to come in on 58 to 64 at Nashville, which seemed like a nice little town. You have 64 and 95 there, so quick ingress and egress from points farther away.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:28 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Yea, it was funny hearing the woman at the desk telling me that there may be a little traffic on the way over. Driving from the hotel to the company location I might have spotted 4 cars lol...such a WELCOMED means of traffic compared to the 271/480 merge in CLE...hit that at the wrong time, it takes 1 hour to go 1 mile.

Looking at potentially applying to this location:
https://www.wildwoodtracellc.com/index.php

Seems to be very nice and it's only 10 minutes away. Hopefully someone can chime in and speak on the surrounding area. How bad could it be? It has a golf course lol
Old 03-19-2014, 06:34 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

I haven't heard of the are you just posted, I've only been to rocky mount once or twice since I've been in NC. But it's one of the places that gets a bad rep, especially downtown. Kind of similar to the Durham area. I think as long as you aren't in the downtown area you should be ok. You could also look into areas like knightdale, zebulon, wilson, and tarboro. All places that are about 25-30 minutes away from your work. The place you listed doesn't look to bad though. But again I haven't been around that area in a while
Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Yea, it was funny hearing the woman at the desk telling me that there may be a little traffic on the way over. Driving from the hotel to the company location I might have spotted 4 cars lol...such a WELCOMED means of traffic compared to the 271/480 merge in CLE...hit that at the wrong time, it takes 1 hour to go 1 mile.

Looking at potentially applying to this location:
https://www.wildwoodtracellc.com/index.php

Seems to be very nice and it's only 10 minutes away. Hopefully someone can chime in and speak on the surrounding area. How bad could it be? It has a golf course lol
OH How i DON'T miss that! Especially since i was commuting from the airport area to Mayfield Hts. Then back and forth from Strongsville to Mentor

Wish i could help you out Baker with Rocky Mount...I've been in NC for over 10 years and never wandered thru there...but as others have mentioned, it seems to get a bad wrap...
Old 03-21-2014, 02:37 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Bump. Come on. I saw quite a few sexy Mustangs in that parking lot the day of my interview. Surely someone can provide some insight!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:42 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

I am 250 miles away, son-in-law lives in Raleigh. He suggested Nash County or in the city limits of RM. We don't have a lot of guys on here from that area. Tony is down that way but further east I believe.

Quick Reply: Might be moving to NC, need some help/info