Detailing Talk

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 08:23 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rockhillgt
Ok. Still looking. Got to get the products before doing the skill part lol
Agreed...
It will take time and practice. The great thing about DA's is the fact that you can't burn the clear coat with them. You can leave product hazing, but it's something that can be fixed relatively easy.

You're biggest issue beyond the machine will be chemicals & products.
As a rule of thumb, there is very little on the shelf at Wally World, Advanced, Autozone, etc. that can really get the job done right.
If the company offers a "Professional" line of products, then most of what you see on the OTC shelves is a watered down version of a Pro product.
EXAMPLE: Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is nothing more than a dumbed down version of their M105 Ultra Cut. You can get the same results with the ultimate as the M105, you'll just have to work the Ultimate longer, or use more of it.

I'd order all of my products online from reputable car care companies such as Chemical Guys, Adams, Menzerna, etc. OR if you're close to Charlotte, Majestic Solutions can hook you up with some very good products, as well as all of the other things you'll need (pads, towels, etc).
For your first few times, i'd also stick to a single product line, as they tend to formulate their products to work with one another.

I'll have to post up some helpful info i've been meaning to do in the next few days...
Old 09-26-2015, 01:16 PM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

Majestic Solutions has an outlet here in Raleigh, too, just off of New Bern Ave (Corporation Pkway).
Old 09-26-2015, 01:53 PM
Carolina Man
3rd Gear Member

What do yall use to clean the plastic dash and protect it? What I have gotten so far from Wal Mart and the parts store doesn't work or last very long.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:37 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Carolina Man
What do yall use to clean the plastic dash and protect it? What I have gotten so far from Wal Mart and the parts store doesn't work or last very long.
If it doesn't last long, that's a good thing! Means the product is probably mostly water based.
If it looks slick for any length of time (like Armor All), then it most likely has a silicone base and isn't something you want to use...

What I use for all of my interior detailing
http://poorboysworld.com/natural-look.htm
http://poorboysworld.com/leatherstuff.htm
Old 09-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Carolina Man
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by steel pony
If it doesn't last long, that's a good thing! Means the product is probably mostly water based.
If it looks slick for any length of time (like Armor All), then it most likely has a silicone base and isn't something you want to use...

What I use for all of my interior detailing
http://poorboysworld.com/natural-look.htm
http://poorboysworld.com/leatherstuff.htm

Thanks I will order some.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:36 PM
Tribefan
2nd Gear Member

What's everyone's thought on these coatings like CQuartz, Carbon Flex, Nano Skin, etc? Do they really add a layer of scratch/swirl protection? I'm interested in coating my car and these darn performance package wheels that have a ton of black spokes.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:33 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tribefan
What's everyone's thought on these coatings like CQuartz, Carbon Flex, Nano Skin, etc? Do they really add a layer of scratch/swirl protection? I'm interested in coating my car and these darn performance package wheels that have a ton of black spokes.
Maybe Clark can weigh in, I don't have any experience with the products. I am sure they help. I work hard not to put scratches in, two bucket wash, good drying cloths, etc.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:59 PM
Shellback
4th Gear Member

Alan,

The next time you order detailing products I need a brush for wheel cleaning.

THANKS,

Larry
Old 03-22-2016, 10:04 PM
Tribefan
2nd Gear Member

I love been wanting to get a set of those wheel woolies. I've heard they work pretty well and don't scratch anything.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:58 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tribefan
Well hello everyone! Hope this finds you well

Yes, they add a layer of protection and can help with avoiding "minor" contact defects. They are however, not as durable as a clear bra or not driving your car (like ever, lol).

As far as protecting your rims, well that gets very, very tricky. Heat, brake dust, proximity to road dirt, etc will break down a sealant/coating faster than any other place on your car. You'll end up re-applying the coating every month.

Here is a document I wrote covering nano technology
Attached Files

Quick Reply: Detailing Talk