Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

North Carolina Tint Laws

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 08:30 PM
VistaBlue09
1st Gear Member

Default North Carolina Tint Laws

I'm going to be moving to North Carolina next year, and I'm wondering about the tint laws. The law mention sedans and SUVs, but my 2009 coupe is certainly not a sedan. Nor an SUV...
I have 35 tint on the sides, so that should be okay. But I have 15 on my rear window - will that be a problem? It's hard to believe that NC is worse than CA since my rear window is legal in CA.
Also, is there any issue with 1/4 window louvers? It looks like Roush Mustangs are sold in NC, so I'm guess the 1/4 window louvers are not a problem.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:37 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

32% is the law for NC

EDIT: That's 32% for cars. When it comes to trucks it's 32% for side windows,but if you have a quad cab it's 32% for the driver and passenger side windows but you can go darker for the rear windows.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:05 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Tint laws hahahaha. Guess sc has them too but no one checks it unless they've got you for something else.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Yeah NC laws suck on tinting and make no sense. So it's 32% like JJ said for cars all around. An SUV or 4 door pickup can have 32% for the front 2 windows but whatever darkness for the rears.

Tint is checked when you do your annual inspection too.

Also be prepared to pay a use tax when you register your vehicles in NC for the first time. You should expect to pay ~$200 per vehicle when you register. I didn't know that when I moved here and got tagged for like $450.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:26 AM
MNKYBZNZ

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Tint laws hahahaha. Guess sc has them too but no one checks it unless they've got you for something else.
Yup! Got stopped yesterday. Cop said someone called in a report of a guy in a black mustang racing a guy in a black Explorer. Of course I said it wasn't me, but it was. He put his little thing on my window and said it passed. (It wasn't much of a race!!!)
Old 11-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Shellback
4th Gear Member

Default Tint ~ Racing

Originally Posted by MNKYBZNZ
Yup! Got stopped yesterday. Cop said someone called in a report of a guy in a black mustang racing a guy in a black Explorer. Of course I said it wasn't me, but it was. He put his little thing on my window and said it passed. (It wasn't much of a race!!!)
Glad you did not get caught racing an Explorer, would of been a shame if you did. Save the race for something worth getting a ticket, I have ricers try to get me to go a lot on Interstate, not worth the trouble.

I wonder who took the time to call in a little speeding, I mean if I did that I would be on the phone all of the time when on I-85.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:06 PM
MNKYBZNZ

Originally Posted by Shellback
Glad you did not get caught racing an Explorer, would of been a shame if you did. Save the race for something worth getting a ticket, I have ricers try to get me to go a lot on Interstate, not worth the trouble.

I wonder who took the time to call in a little speeding, I mean if I did that I would be on the phone all of the time when on I-85.
What race?

This guy has one of those new 3.5 Twin Turbo Explorers, thinks hes Gods gift to the world.......I had to shut him up!
Old 11-14-2016, 05:31 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

My oil/lube shop checks my tint at inspection as well. I did 35% front/25%side and rear.Be careful what you "post" the man is checkin "social media" these days.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Denethor

You also pay extra every year at inspection time to test the tint. The tint can also only be grey, no colors, non reflective.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

Don't they have better things to do ?? lol
you should move here. that's bullplop

Quick Reply: North Carolina Tint Laws