Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

I'll just leave this here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 02:47 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

I thought the new ones came with 32-33 inch tires stock, I know my friends did which is why he went to 35's, on his 2 door JK
Old 07-30-2017, 05:26 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Some models do come with 33's. Mine has 32's and I want to go with a 33 and a more aggressive tread design. With a 2 inch lift the 33's will look better.

Last edited by DK Pony; 07-30-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:34 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zodiac
Congrats! I'll be celebrating my 13th anniversary a week from tomorrow.

BTW is the color on your Jeep Rhino?
Congrats on your 13th!!

Yep the color is Rhino.

The 2018 Wrangler will be coming out later this year. They haven't had the big unveiling yet but there is a lot of info out on the net about it.
The big news is the addition of a diesel engine option coming out in 2019.
All the purists are freaking out because they are dropping the ability to lower the windshield. Like anyone has actually done that in the last 20 years.
If you wait until somewhere around December you should see both the JK and the JL(2018) on the lots so you can compare them side by side.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:17 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Thanks, I'm well aware of the new wrangler, wife loves diesels so I'm dreaming lol. Only thing is if we get a wrangler, wife wouldn't let it off road. Defeats the purpose. The only thing I dislike about the current wrangler is the archaic 5 speed auto.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:15 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Be careful what you wish for. While the archaic 5 speed may be behind the times it is a proven transmission. Of all the complaints about Wranglers(mostly from people whining about it being too loud or that it doesn't have this or that) the transmission is not one of them unlike the 8 speed POS in the Renegade that would be the most cost effective option if they were to put an 8 speed in the Wrangler.
I have to say that my previous one had the auto with 3:21 gears and the difference between the two is night and day. My new one has 3:73s and the auto transmission and it is awesome. I never got better than 18 MPG in the old one and it would just feel sluggish.
the new one only has 200 miles on it and I am already getting 21 mpg out of it. The engine is so much happier in the rpm range with the gears. It has 32ish inch tires and the heavy duty suspension and it rides and drives so much better than the 2016
I personally believe that 3:73s are the perfect all around gear . Sure you could go 4:10 like the Rubicon , hell you could go 5:29 like the 47 ****** but the 3:73 is the best all around setup.
Good luck in your search for one. The Smoky Mountain Edition I got is supposed to be a limited run but we all know how that goes.

Last edited by DK Pony; 07-31-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DK Pony
Be careful what you wish for. While the archaic 5 speed may be behind the times it is a proven transmission. Of all the complaints about Wranglers(mostly from people whining about it being too loud or that it doesn't have this or that) the transmission is not one of them unlike the 8 speed POS in the Renegade that would be the most cost effective option if they were to put an 8 speed in the Wrangler.
I have to say that my previous one had the auto with 3:21 gears and the difference between the two is night and day. My new one has 3:73s and the auto transmission and it is awesome. I never got better than 18 MPG in the old one and it would just feel sluggish.
the new one only has 200 miles on it and I am already getting 21 mpg out of it. The engine is so much happier in the rpm range with the gears. It has 32ish inch tires and the heavy duty suspension and it rides and drives so much better than the 2016
I personally believe that 3:73s are the perfect all around gear . Sure you could go 4:10 like the Rubicon , hell you could go 5:29 like the 47 ****** but the 3:73 is the best all around setup.
Good luck in your search for one. The Smoky Mountain Edition I got is supposed to be a limited run but we all know how that goes.
Interesting. I had the 8 speed auto in my Ram 1500, and currently have the 8 speed auto in my Charger Scat Pack. I absolutely love the transmission.

I'm thinking you are referring to the 9 speed auto... my wife has it in her Cherokee. It's not the greatest and likes to hunt gears but it's been problem free for the last 2+ years. I do know it gets a bad reputation all over the auto world and online forums though.

She really likes the new compass but I feel that 4 cyl is not enough for it. Ideally I want a new CX-5 since she won't go off road.

I do need to test drive a new wrangler though, haven't had the opportunity since they added the pentastar.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:12 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

You are correct. I was thinking of the 9 speed.. My bad.
The pentastar is miles ahead of the last generation v6 from what I hear. I don't have any experience with it. I I went from the old 4.0 straight six(loved that engine) to the Pentastar but I haven't heard anything good about the other v6.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:00 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Yea the pentastar is great! The earlier models had some issues that were fixed. I had one in our Grand Cherokee and have the smaller 3.2 in our Cherokee. Good motor, but nothing compared to my 392 in the Charger lol.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:24 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

There is talk of a 4 cyl turbo in the JL. We will wait and see on that one. I'm not sold on the idea.
It just seems to me that it wouldn't have the low end that you need for a Wrangler. You have to keep the revs up to keep generating boost so it just seems it wouldn't have the torque for crawling. I could be wrong, but that is just the way I see it.
Maybe they should just go back to the old AMC 360 with full time 4wd and Quadratrac.

Now a 392 powered Wrangler would definitely pique my curiosity.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:31 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Some turbo 4's make peak or nearly 100% of their peak torque as low as 1500 rpms. Its possibly from using a smaller turbocharger that won't make as much peak horsepower but if they do go in that direction, it should be interesting but my guess is it would still work for off road crawling. Currently I don't think anyone uses a turbo 4 or any forced induction engine for rock crawling though, whether its a new truck or an older rig.