Looking for..

Old 12-21-2016, 09:46 AM
KittenBiscuit

Question Looking for..

I have recently purchased a 04 GT and the radio that is in it now is terrible, I was hoping to find and OEM radio for it or another substitute that will actually fit and look nice.

I have looked on Ebay and other sites but they are all asking over $160 and i cant make myself buy a used, factory radio for that much. I might as well buy something new or better for that price.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:54 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

What are you hoping to gain with the stereo upgrade? Better sound? Better interface?
Old 12-21-2016, 02:21 PM
KittenBiscuit

Originally Posted by C1Forged
What are you hoping to gain with the stereo upgrade? Better sound? Better interface?
Well, the one that the previous owner had installed doesn't fit very well. Some of the screen is covered by the bezel and the sound that it is pushing out is awful, i don't know if it is a bad connection or just the stereo itself. I haven't checked any of the wiring but i have tried adjusting the sound settings and its just awful. I would like something that actually fits and makes nice sound.
The radio is also from Japan so the wording is wrong and its very hard to work, so i have been blindly guessing what button does what. Haha
Old 12-21-2016, 02:31 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

You're more than likely going to need a completely new system. The head unit itself does nothing more than serve as a signal interface that accepts the music input, and send it along to the speakers. Each head unit has its own stock parameters, and its own level of adjustment, but for the most part, 80% of the time a bad sounding system comes down to the speakers themselves.

What I would recommend [since you mentioned its a Japanese head unit], go onto Crutchfield.com and input your vehicle's info [make, model, year, trim, etc.]. From there it will list a number of headunits that are compatible with your Mustang, and you can narrow down results based off of features to make it easier. Now a days a majority of head units have bluetooth features for both android and iphone, and some even have Siri compatibility for hands free usage.

Crutchfield also sells all the needed accessories to install the HU [bezel if needed, cables, harnesses to retain steering wheel controls, etc.], and it comes with instructions so you can install yourself. Once you change out the head unit, if that doesn't fix the sound enough to make you happy, look into a component upgrade [tweeter, reference woofer/midrage speaker, sub]. Just be sure to stay away from the crossover speakers that have a tweeter and speaker in one. they're gimmicky, and like the saying goes, its a Jack of all Trade, Master of None. Nothing tops a proper Tweeter and Midrange speaker combo.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:34 PM
KittenBiscuit

I appreciate it! Im gonna do some digging to see what would be best. I just bought the car a week ago and I love driving it but not being able to listen to anything over the road noise gets pretty old.

Search this Thread