Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Pics of your rides.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:53 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Well, I hope the Mustang makes you feel better inside and out everytime you get to see it, hear it, feel it. Thank you for going over there to VN for us and having to sacrifice your health.
You have a beautiful car that moves quick, stops quick, and now sits comfortably.
Here are some of my favorite e-bay sellers. Have fun checken them out:
mustangmods, pro.mod, prestige_mustang, 2stangs2vettes, cundnracing, and wegotoallparts.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by robb15033
Well, I hope the Mustang makes you feel better inside and out everytime you get to see it, hear it, feel it. Thank you for going over there to VN for us and having to sacrifice your health.
You have a beautiful car that moves quick, stops quick, and now sits comfortably.
Here are some of my favorite e-bay sellers. Have fun checken them out:
mustangmods, pro.mod, prestige_mustang, 2stangs2vettes, cundnracing, and wegotoallparts.
Much appreciated and I will check the sites out. I have never regretted going to VN. I am proud of what we did. VN, like any war, takes lives of a lot of people, friends, and classmates that never had a chance to experience life. That is all I regret. I was lucky and came back unlike the thousand's that did not. They are the ones that sacrificed. My car is very frustrating in trying to get it better than where it was. You fix or update one thing and then have to fix two more to make it work, might be some of the mechanic's fault. This is the first car I have touched since I quit building them back in the 70's and that garage floor has gotten extremely hard.
Thanks and take care,
Old 08-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Beautiful *** Bad Obsession
I had a long discussion with SPEC Friday about my clutch and they feel it has not seated yet-around 400 miles on it, but it is awful. How was yours to drive when you first put it in? Mine hops and grabs badly and has nit changed since the first day. I am putting in a new trans this week and really hate to have to pull it again to replace the clutch. That is why I am asking how yours drove when you first started driving it. No slippage at all. I was told since it was working at al lit could not be the plate. I have installed clutches before and never anything like this. If you can let me know how yours drove I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Old 08-29-2011, 01:35 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dennis Marks
I had a long discussion with SPEC Friday about my clutch and they feel it has not seated yet-around 400 miles on it, but it is awful. How was yours to drive when you first put it in? Mine hops and grabs badly and has nit changed since the first day. I am putting in a new trans this week and really hate to have to pull it again to replace the clutch. That is why I am asking how yours drove when you first started driving it. No slippage at all. I was told since it was working at al lit could not be the plate. I have installed clutches before and never anything like this. If you can let me know how yours drove I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Mine drives the same today as it did the day i installed it. The only "breaking in" issues I noticed was a smell in each gear if I was riding the clutch, letting it out slowly with high RPM's. It produced a light smell a few times during the first two months. Mine never acted odd like your describing. Are you treating it gentle for the first 500 miles and still experiencing issues? If you are, I don't think all is right with it. But I really don't have a clue as to what it could be. You put in a new throw out bearing and pilot bearing both?
If it were me, I would contact something like three transmission places and compare their answers.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Mine drives the same today as it did the day i installed it. The only "breaking in" issues I noticed was a smell in each gear if I was riding the clutch, letting it out slowly with high RPM's. It produced a light smell a few times during the first two months. Mine never acted odd like your describing. Are you treating it gentle for the first 500 miles and still experiencing issues? If you are, I don't think all is right with it. But I really don't have a clue as to what it could be. You put in a new throw out bearing and pilot bearing both?
If it were me, I would contact something like three transmission places and compare their answers.
Thanks, that is what I thought but SPEC continues to say it won't seat for 1,000 miles and I am not going to hop around for 600 miles just driving it occasionally. It has not changed any since day one. The guys at SPEC think it is me, I don't so I am pulling it Saturday. Any suggestions on a replacement? Has a new Yates flywheel, pilot bushing, and throw out bearing.
Thanks for your time
Old 08-30-2011, 08:11 PM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, that is what I thought but SPEC continues to say it won't seat for 1,000 miles and I am not going to hop around for 600 miles just driving it occasionally. It has not changed any since day one. The guys at SPEC think it is me, I don't so I am pulling it Saturday. Any suggestions on a replacement? Has a new Yates flywheel, pilot bushing, and throw out bearing.
Thanks for your time
Well SPEC should do it if installed properly. If you are going to start over, first thing to do is get a brand new Ford Racing throw out bearing. Thats most important.
For your car you want a Centerforce kit, or McLeod, RAM, or Fidanza. Those are what you have to choose from and get garantee quality. Maybe a Stage2 this time.
Just get that Ford throw out bearing. Let me know what happens.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Well SPEC should do it if installed properly. If you are going to start over, first thing to do is get a brand new Ford Racing throw out bearing. Thats most important.
For your car you want a Centerforce kit, or McLeod, RAM, or Fidanza. Those are what you have to choose from and get garantee quality. Maybe a Stage2 this time.
Just get that Ford throw out bearing. Let me know what happens.
Just ordered a RamHD from Summit for $350. Shipping out tonight. Why is the Ford Racing throw-out bearing so important?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:28 PM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Just ordered a RamHD from Summit for $350. Shipping out tonight. Why is the Ford Racing throw-out bearing so important?
Summit has it, so does CJPony.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FM...48-A/?rtype=10
For all of us Mustang owners, for what ever reason, The Ford throw out bearing helps to secure a smooth operating and long lasting bearing without issues. I don't know why the clutch manufacturer bearings give people so many issues but they do. Its really just to be on the safe side and install a much superior bearing.
You are now good to go. I know that you'll love the RAM clutch for the next 10 years or so. My SPEC was a bitch to align the flywheel and the clutch itself, but has operated flawlessly from day one. I would hold on to all the parts you take out. SPEC may be interested in seeing it or you may be able to sell it to someone really in need. I want to know what your throw out bearing looks like when it comes out. Some need a special lubricating on the outside during install. Let me know how it goes.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Summit has it, so does CJPony.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FM...48-A/?rtype=10
For all of us Mustang owners, for what ever reason, The Ford throw out bearing helps to secure a smooth operating and long lasting bearing without issues. I don't know why the clutch manufacturer bearings give people so many issues but they do. Its really just to be on the safe side and install a much superior bearing.
You are now good to go. I know that you'll love the RAM clutch for the next 10 years or so. My SPEC was a bitch to align the flywheel and the clutch itself, but has operated flawlessly from day one. I would hold on to all the parts you take out. SPEC may be interested in seeing it or you may be able to sell it to someone really in need. I want to know what your throw out bearing looks like when it comes out. Some need a special lubricating on the outside during install. Let me know how it goes.
Will do. Thanks
Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 PM
94GTRagtop

My usernamesake...

My Blazer (for sale to fund a Foxbody purchase/trade for a Foxbody GT)...

The Dime (the wife and I share/shared it) (think I got this one sold)-needs a tranny...

The wife's MPG getter (as much as 36.6 MPG's on an all hwy tank )...

Quick Reply: Pics of your rides.