Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Do You Have Any History On Your Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:53 PM
plainsman1876
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Do You Have Any History On Your Mustang?

My 65 2+2 has a build date of 09- 19 - 64. Built in San Jose Ca . Factory front disc brakes , a/c 225 hp , 289 4v C 4 trans , After it was built it went to LA .
Old 09-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

some great stories guys

my car was imported from the US in about 1996/7 as a "renovators delight". I purchased it(following a rush of blood to the head) in 1998. Body pretty good but with alignment issues, paint new but rated as ok rather than great, mechanicals very poor. the PO who "restored" itbought an aftermarket door plate based on the visible VIN. I since figured out it has had a smack in that front and the whole frontd/side has been replaced. The vin is for a 66 coupe 6cyl. One day i will get round to pulling the pass side front fender off to see what the real vin is.

the only clues to its history were a very tired but once very hot 302 and cuts in the carpet (with repairs to the tunnel) suggesting it had some sort of side mounted shifter...traffic light terror by the name of charles ruvolo from Riverside CA was the last registered owner in the US. he would have been about 21 in 1996.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:58 PM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

my 68 coupe was born on april, 10 1968 in dearborn. it was origanally sold at a dealer in louisville, kentucky. it was there for one year when the 1st owner moved to georgia. he drove the car daily for the 14 years. in 1983 he sold the car to the second owner who drove the car daily for 12 years then let it sit for a year and sold it to me the third owner. the car was driven daily for 29 years of its life had 346,000 miles on it when i bout it and the 200 cid 6 had never been taking apart. i have had it for 10 years and only put 22,000 miles on it and am getting ready for a V8 swap and restomod restoration. to be able to drive it everyday again.

factory 200 cid 6cyl coupe
meadowlark yellow extirior
black interior
base mustang with no options except for am/fm radio

and 368,000 miles with no rebuild and origanal ford factory parts never replaced just tune ups and oil changes
Old 09-03-2007, 12:37 AM
degins
2nd Gear Member

My parentsordered my R plant 66 C code coupe in April 65, but it took till December to take delivery. Dark Ivy gold metallic exterior with light Ivy gold metallic pony interior. My mom picked me up from school (7th grade)with the brand new car. It was purchased from Towne Ford in RedwoodCity CA for about $3000. I have the window sticker somewhere.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:26 AM
scouttrooper
1st Gear Member

Its origins are likely lost forever, but in about 1980, my 65 convertible was acquired by two fellows who owned an auto parts store south of Kansas City, MO. They intended to restore it as the bare-bones, 3-speed, automatic,6 cylinder that it was born as. The partners split and sold the car off in 1983 to my father-in-law. They had stripped it to a tub and frame-rails, sandblasting everything including dash chrome. Pops had brought the thing home full of parts and several boxes of spill over parts. He intended to restore it, but never got around to it. He did frequent swap meets and scored a number of good old original parts over the years. It sat in the third bay of his garage for nearly 20 years in that primered state. When he finally decided to sell it, folks that would come see it were so overwhelmed by the condition that they'd run for the hills. The number of parts boxes had swelled to over 20, (those solidly built, apple boxes from the produce department). In 2001, I found myself with some extra garage space and took it off his hands for $4,500 with all the parts. After bringing it home on two flatbed trailors, I spent the next 1 1/2 years putting it back together. It was especially challenging because I'd never seen one apart. Had I stripped it, I'm one of those that would have labled each part and taped it to cardboard or something. These boxes may as well have been put in a tumbler; everything had been swirled around on garage shelves for 20 years. I got it together as he had envisioned; 6-cyl, 3-speed automatic, manual everything - a total of $18,457 invested, (ouch). After 4 years of driving it, I decided to "improve it" just last year. I made it my own with a 302, T-5, 4 disc brakes, etc... about another 15 grand invested. I learned not to add it up... adding causes all sorts of pain! It is now something I can love and hang onto for the long haul. It's had a colorful existance thus far...

[IMG]local://upfiles/58088/43DFB8FAF10A4CC6AA068A5B2C1154F2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/58088/827321327B994D208EEB02F9F7616D41.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-03-2007, 10:14 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I work with the PO of my sons car. He owned it for about 10 years,and it spemt 99.5% ofthis timein the garage. Early on he did have the engine rebuilt and aquired quite of bit of goodies to bring it back to the road as a stock restoration. Well,, we got the car and that all changed!!

I don't have any other history on the car other than the fact that is was built in San Jose, sold in El Paso, TX. and has been in El Paso and/or Las Cruces, NM it's entire existance.

I guess I should ask my co-worker if he has any other information on the cars history...
Old 09-03-2007, 10:29 AM
fifi_
1st Gear Member

The history of my 68 was someone crashed it and a bodyshop bought it off an insurance auction, then they fixed it up or whatever and I bought it. I fixed it up even more because their fix up job was shoddy. Then I crashed on the freeway and now its back in the insurance auctions. It had a DSO code of 91 and I still want to find out what that means, so even though I don't own the car anymore I still might buy a marti report on it. Oh and It was origanaly highland green with an ivy gold deluxe int. When I got it it was baby blue with black halfway deluxe int. It also had the map light thing.

My 66 is totally origanl and the people who had it before me were chevy guys and didn't know what to do with the mustang so I bought it (they only had it for 2 months). Before that it was the origanal owners wife who after her husbanddied used it as a greocery getter.

bothbuilt in san jose
Old 09-03-2007, 05:44 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Metuchen NJ , built in Oct 1969 , 4 days behind schedule. She has one of the last 351W usedas the base V8.Car was shipped to a Washington DC Ford dealer that no longer exists. I bought the car in 1978 from a John Hopkins college student. His Dad was the owner, and it was titled in Virginia. I didn't even test drive the car. He was asking $1000 and I offered $600. I had been looking for a 1969 fastback/Mach 1 and was always out bid. I was 18 and had $1500 American to spend. He told me he would think about it and call me the next day. As I was leaving I saw a kid and his parents coming to look at the car. I figured I had lost another one to someone who was being bank rolled by his parents. To my surprise the owner called me the next day and told me he'd take the $600. When I got her home I almost died when I found a folder full of dealership repair reciepts that covered electrical problems. The only problem I ever had was with the wiper switch. Not only did it turn three positions to the right, but it spun multiple positions to the left. It also would not return the wipers to the bottom of the windshield when turned off. You had to wait until they returned then shut them off. I took it to a Ford dealer who told me that the "governor was shot" and the part was obsolete. "Go to a junk yard and find a new wiper motor assembly" he told me. About three years later I was reading my just arrived edition of Mustang Monthly and they had an issue that dealt with intermittent wipers. "If your switch turns to the left, you have intermittent wipers" the article stated. It insturcted how to look under the hood for a black box on the fire wall. Inside the box would be a crude circuit board with a soldered in fuse.Check the fuse to see if it was open. I did, and found that it was. I replaced the fuse and not only did the intermittent feature work, but the wipers returned to the off position automatically. A few years later when I found copies of my build sheets I noticed that there was an "X" in the coulmn that read "int"in the wiper section.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Charlie1
2nd Gear Member

Here's the original bill of sale and the window sticker. Is Dick Wilson Ford still on the PCH in Redondo Beach?

[IMG]local://upfiles/20213/0664763C635D45B1AFB4004B3073B9B4.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20213/F38B7CB5B6AF4670A12ACFDF9AE20305.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-05-2007, 02:15 PM
RGH69
2nd Gear Member

We have no clue about the history. Other than we bought it from a dealer. The dealer said he bought it from a guy that was restoring it. But man, that guy did some real hack welding. He used a stick welder. I wish I knew more of the history of the car.

Quick Reply: Do You Have Any History On Your Mustang?