Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Do You Have Any History On Your Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:08 PM
doc540
1st Gear Member

Default Do You Have Any History On Your Mustang?

Post some background info if you have any!

My '65 was purchased new by my uncle on Nov.12, 1965 at Thad Felton Ford in Baytown, TX. It cost $3,054.33 and was optioned with A/C, automatic trans, AM pushbutton radio, bucket seats, and console.

(codes: San Jose, CA plant, Poppy Red, Red Crinkle Vinyl, Standard Interior, 7/30/65 build, Houston district, 2.83:1 axle, C4 Automatic)

He drove it back and forth everyday from Baytown, TX to Rohm and Haas Chemical in Pasadena for over 10 years and put over 200,000 miles on it. After he retired he tinkered with it as a resto project, but after the death of his brother (my other uncle) he lost interest and it just sat in the garage until Nov. 30, 1998.

That's when I inherited it under the condition that I never sell it! He just gave me the title as a Christmas present in 1998. I don't know HOW I managed to drive it 60 miles to my hometown with only one brake cylinder working and a shot carb, but I got it here.

I've been restoring and driving it almost daily ever since. Even this morning I got up and changed the alt and fan belts, checked the idle speed, and did a little detailing on the engine.

I've already made sure it stays in the family when I pass away.

How 'bout yours? You know some history to share with us?
Old 09-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Do You Have Any History On Your Mustang?

Bought my '71 off a dealer in Nebraska. It was a 1-owner from Co. Springs. Had a $5,500 price tag, but the dealer's helper put $1,750 on the windshield by mistake. I pulled into the dealership just as the owner was walking out with window cleaner and a rag.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:14 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

my 65 was bought from Horn Williams ford in dallas texas, still has the original horn williams badge DRILLED into the trunk. it was bought by a lady, one of those to church and back deals. a guy bought it from her, drove it for a little while, then put it in a hanger in denton, where my dad and i found it. we are the 3rd owner.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:57 PM
doc540
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EmperorOfChicken

my 65 was bought from Horn Williams ford in dallas texas, still has the original horn williams badge DRILLED into the trunk. it was bought by a lady, one of those to church and back deals. a guy bought it from her, drove it for a little while, then put it in a hanger in denton, where my dad and i found it. we are the 3rd owner.
yep, before adhesives they drilled and bolted 'em onto the trunk!

And what a hanger find!

So , that's it in the pic? Little old lady optioned it nicely, didn't she?!!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Arcticspook
2nd Gear Member

The history on mine is a little fuzzy...

It came out of the San Jose plant on August 29, 1966.

Fast forward to the late 90's. Kid in Fairbanks, AK had it and hit a pole. Left front quarter panel had to be replaced. Kid didn't have the money so a tow truck driver bought it off of him. Tow truck driver was fixing it up, not sure on exactly what he did. A dentist in Fairbanks, AK got it from him, fixed it up changed the paint from Sauterne Gold Metallic to whatever you call the shade of blue it is now, and the interior from Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl to black. He replaced the 200 I6 with a 302 along with a 650 cfm Edelbrock carb and a few other goodies under the hood (K&N air filter, Edelbrock manifold covers). Dentist had a couple of other classics and had to part with a few. My wife knew I had always wanted one, noticed it for sale and got it for me.

I came back from Iraq and it was in my garage.

I would love to kow who had it before the pimple faced kid and exactly how it got to AK in the first place.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:46 PM
doc540
1st Gear Member

"My wife knew I had always wanted one, noticed it for sale and got it for me.
I came back from Iraq and it was in my garage."

double u oh double u WOW!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:49 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

yep, c code 289, 65 hard top coupe, wimbeldon white w/ black vinyl top, A/C, pushbottom AM radio and a console with c4 automatic tranny. standard interior.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:49 PM
JamesW

Spent the summer once living in VOQ in Eielson....

Biggest damn mosquitoes I have ever seen in my life....
Old 09-01-2007, 10:13 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

OK, this is the short version of a long story. This car is an originalDearborn assembled car.

Nevin Critten was agood family friend who bought this car new at Ghent Motor Company in Ft Collins, Colorado. He was an over the road truck driver and put very few miles on his beloved Mach 1. I was a wide eyed 10 year old. He took me for a short ride and I was hooked. I loved the car from the beginning.

When I was 19 Nevin sold me his pride and joy with about 30,000 miles on the clock. In the following few years I raced it, wrecked it, fixed it , drove it like it was stolen and aged the car a great deal. I put more miles on the car in 3 years than Nevin did in the previous 8. Finally I sold the car and it sat in a field for 12 years as the new owner simply watched it rot. He had dozens of muscle cars in a giant pen and they all sat in neat little rows as mother nature worked her magic on them.

Many years later Nevin was killed in a truck accident and I went to the current owner to try to buy the car back. He wouldn't even talk. Then one day in 1995 I got a call that the current owner was involved in a nasty divorce and all of the cars were for sale. I immediately went to retrieve RSRXION. She was in running condition as he was getting all of the cars ready for sale. I made arrangements to purchase her back and drove the old girl home with just 57 miles added to the odometer in 12 years. I immediately set about gathering the best pieces in preparation for her restoration in Nevins' memory. She needed a lot after sitting for so long and much of the floors were rusty due to water seepage into the floors. She was suffering.

Finally in thewinter of 2002 I took the tired old pony to Don Simms of D&B Restorations here in Springdale , Arkansas. Don is a well respected restoration shop with dozens of Mustangs previously restored. In the following 2.5 years Don worked his miracles as I continued to pursue only the best pieces for the restoration. What we wound up with is what you see in the signature picture. Everyinch of this car was restored or replaced except for the original leather wrapped steering wheel. I left it alone as a reminder of Nevin. RSRXION is what I placed on the license plate. Considering that this old war horse was resurrected , I thought it appropriate.

Hope this isn't too long, Dean
Old 09-01-2007, 10:18 PM
doc540
1st Gear Member

GREAT STORY, Dean!!!

Man, that right there is what this hobby is all about.

Quick Reply: Do You Have Any History On Your Mustang?