Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

1968 Fastback restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:22 PM
BossHoss68

Cool 1968 Fastback restoration

I'm new here so I want to say Hi. I think I may have bit off more than I can chew on this project, very rusty, needs a complete floor, firewall, upper and lower cowl, and torque boxes to start. I then plan on changing the front rails and eliminating the tower assembly. Planning on starting with the firewall then cowl assembly then the complete floor and torque boxes. If anyone has any experience with these procedures or the order I should start please comment. To begin with the car is on jackstands and completely level at this time.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:34 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If it is as bad as you say and your skills aren't up to the task then you would be money ahead just kissing the ugly baby and getting a new body.

http://www.restorationperformance.co...nt-body-shell/
Old 01-26-2016, 11:09 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

How much time and experience do you have? Fastback may be right, and there are several bodies out there. However, the Mustang is a good training tool if that is what you are looking for. Seems like you need to tear out the whole inside from firewall back, so get the drill for those spot welds and the air chisel for the rest. There are many people who have done at least some of it with good advice in this forum.
My grand kids learned to weld and do body work on a 67 coupe by replacing the floor and torque box on the driver side. Also did the front battery box and tower along with lots of other educational points like the whole front end replacement.
So have fun with it.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:28 PM
BossHoss68

Default 1968 Fastback restoration

Thanks for the imput, I do have experience with major body work, but have been retired for 14 years. I have never restored a mustang and thought that since there are many part vendors out there, parts should be reasonable. Nothing to lose but my time. Have all the tools, including a plasma cutter so I guess I'm all in. Just needed to know in what order should these panels be removed and replaced. Thanks
Old 01-26-2016, 09:09 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Well that changes things. If you have the knowledge and are physically able to do it then you can rebuild any Mustang around little more than a grease spot.

Knock yourself out and keep us posted.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:51 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

I look forward to your deconstruction and rebuild of your 68.

My son and I just got his 69 fastback in the shop this week and will be replacing everything underneath the car. I've got it on a rotisserie rack and jigged to set any points needed. We just finished replacing the rear frame rail, inner and outer wheel houses, lt trunk floor and lt qtr panel. Tomorrow we'll work on the rt rear before moving on to the frt frame rails, torq boxes, rear fender aprons, and finally the floors.

I'll post plenty of pics that may help you along or give you and idea how to take on yours differently.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:23 PM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

SSRFUZZY, sounds like you got the money and the time. Would love to have a garage big enough for a rotisserie to say nothing about the rotisserie. But BossHoss68 you can do it on a small budget. Parts galore out there as Fastback says, you can start with a Falcon and build a Mustang with the parts available. Just have fun.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:04 AM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bop11
SSRFUZZY, sounds like you got the money and the time. Would love to have a garage big enough for a rotisserie to say nothing about the rotisserie. But BossHoss68 you can do it on a small budget. Parts galore out there as Fastback says, you can start with a Falcon and build a Mustang with the parts available. Just have fun.

Sorry but I'm in the same boat as many others are. Usually some money but no time for my own stuff, or lots and lots of time with no money (I am retired, but build the cars to keep from going insane.).

We ordered all the underbody sheet metal for the Mustang back in Dec when CJP had their 30% off sale, saved a bunch to get what we needed otherwise it wouldn't have happened yet.

Now, since I'm waiting for parts on two other customer projects (ordered, but not here) I have time to work on My sons Mustang.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:57 PM
BossHoss68

Got under the dash today and removed all the wiring, wiper motor and heater box. Then got the plasma cutter out. (just bought it) and cut out the upper and lower cowl area, then started to drill out the spot welds around the windshield area. I'm pooped. As soon as my grandson come's over I'll post pic's of my progress. I ordered new firewall, upper and lower cowl and side panels along with both torque boxes. again I'll get pic's of the mess I'm creating.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:45 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Next question, what are you going to do with all that scrap metal?

Quick Reply: 1968 Fastback restoration