Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Assembling a car is not as easy as you might think

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:20 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wumarshall82
I had a 65 back in college and I am pretty sure when I painted it I just took the bumpers off and put them back on afterwards without removing the valance. Maybe I am "misremembering" but I think the bumper can be put on with the valance still on. That has been a good 6 years ago so maybe someone can give some input here because I am about to start reassembling within the next week and I put a new valance on 2 weeks ago and I am hoping to just put the bumper back on without taking the valance back off.. BTW, the Ford tooling valance seemed to line up pretty good. It was worth the extra $40 to get that instead of a repo but if it was a fender the $250 difference might mean something to me.
If you look at it you can reach the valance bolts with the bumper on but you can't reach all the bumper bolts with the valance on. Of the four bolts on the front of the bumper the outside ones could be done but the inside ones will be mostly blocked by the valance. It wasn't a big deal to loosen up the valance and drop it and let it hang by the turn signal wiring (Mustang Monthly says this is OK). When you lift the valance back up, stick the bolts on either side of the license plate on and that will hold it while you add a bolt to each fender/valance connection. I also found it easier to remove the little bumper guard upper brackets from the bumper mounts until the bumper was remounted. They also were blocking inside bolts. Put those back on before the valance. The bottom bracket for the bumper guards also hold the bottom of the valance in place.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:57 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

I hope those bumper guard brackets can go on with the valance already in place. They were my Christmas present.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:38 PM
wumarshall82
2nd Gear Member

I took mine off with the valance in place so you should be able too.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:20 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Thats good news, thanks.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:45 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moonweasel
I hope those bumper guard brackets can go on with the valance already in place. They were my Christmas present.
Yes, that is no problem. With the valance off you can put the brackets on very easily from the front. With the valance on, you can put them on just about as easily from underneath and behind. Either way it is not a challenge. And as far as I could tell it does not really matter which way the bolt faces on the little brackets.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 AM
emperor_24

Im on my fifth stang project, and after the first one its a breeze. even if you know how to weld and do repairs even better. For a little amound of money you can build yourself a nice comfortable ride.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:25 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I don't know how I missed this thread. Thanks for the shout out

Reassembling really is a pain, I thought I could finish my whole car for the most part over christmas break (3 weeks). Needless to say i don't even think I had the interior in by then, I ended up getting my car driveable by I think mid March. Good luck with the rest of your reassembly!

Color is really lookin' good btw
Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM
godrocksus1
1st Gear Member

This is a good thread but I'd like to see more pics of someone putting the front end together. I'm about to start on my wife's and it was apart when I got it. I bought the bolt kits and I think I have the stuff but as you can see in the pictures I have a long way to go. Can anyone help with pics? please!!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:20 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

godrocksus1,

I suggest making a new thread specific for your question. But what you can do that may help is get a shop manual. It might have some good diagrams and basic instructions. Having a bolt kit will help, you at least know how many mounting points you need to find
Old 11-16-2009, 12:44 PM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by godrocksus1
This is a good thread but I'd like to see more pics of someone putting the front end together. I'm about to start on my wife's and it was apart when I got it. I bought the bolt kits and I think I have the stuff but as you can see in the pictures I have a long way to go. Can anyone help with pics? please!!
It's a pain putting everything back together and finding a few spare nuts and bolts. I haven't gotten as far as you, but I will be there soon (months??). I know there is a book with exploded views of all the body parts. I plan on picking one up. Hopefully it shows each and every screw in the assembly of each part.
I do have my son take pictures of all parts from each angle before we take something off, but it is easy to miss hidden fastener in a photo, so hopefully these exploded diagrams will help some.
Best of luck (I second the new thread!)

Quick Reply: Assembling a car is not as easy as you might think