Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

'73 mustang info. sought

Old 06-10-2009, 07:42 AM
larry abbott

Default '73 mustang info. sought

Hi, newbie here, so please excuse my ignorance (Corvette owner). I just won a '73 convertible in a charity raffle. I am in maine and the car is in Minnesota so I am trying to figure out if I really want this car. It has a 302, auto trans., all stock, unrestored; I have not seen the car but the buyer/middleman/collector who supplied the car to the charity tells me it is in 3+/2- condition, with some worn interior and tired paint, but no rust. Everything works. He says the motor is "drive it anywhere." Is there anybody in the forum who could give this car a drive and check it out for me? Car is in Blaine, MN, a bit north of Minneapolis. Taxes and shipping would be over $4000, and I already have a money pit (see above). Any particular mechanical quirks with this year car? Anything to look out for? many thanks for any suggestions/opinions, Larry; PM me laabbott@cushing.org
Old 06-10-2009, 08:03 AM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by larry abbott
Hi, newbie here, so please excuse my ignorance (Corvette owner). I just won a '73 convertible in a charity raffle. I am in maine and the car is in Minnesota so I am trying to figure out if I really want this car. It has a 302, auto trans., all stock, unrestored; I have not seen the car but the buyer/middleman/collector who supplied the car to the charity tells me it is in 3+/2- condition, with some worn interior and tired paint, but no rust. Everything works. He says the motor is "drive it anywhere." Is there anybody in the forum who could give this car a drive and check it out for me? Car is in Blaine, MN, a bit north of Minneapolis. Taxes and shipping would be over $4000, and I already have a money pit (see above). Any particular mechanical quirks with this year car? Anything to look out for? many thanks for any suggestions/opinions, Larry; PM me laabbott@cushing.org
If I was in the area I would be glad to.

I don't really understand though. How does it come to 4,000? something is wrong there. Shipping should be about $500 and taxes should not be near that.

It sounds like you are getting hosed somewhere. In my opinion, $4,000 is all that car would be worth. It almost sounds like a scam to me. Was the charity auction a well established charity or something like "Bob's hunt for the cure of x"?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:08 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I think shipping it would be more than 500, unless you know someone. I think it would be closer to 1000. Still 4000 is way too much for shipping it etc.

Why not fly out and drive it back if its mechincally sound like they say it is?

Do you have any pictures of it?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

3+/2- condition? On a scale of what, apple to aardvark?

And I have to agree with the others $4000 is much too much. The only way I can see that working out from taxes and shipping is if they have the car valued at $50000 or something preposterous like that. Could you get pictures of it and post them, we may be able to give you a decent ballpark valuation from them.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:01 PM
larry abbott

Default raffle mustang

Thanks for the replies. The deal was that the charity (legit, St. Hubert's Catholic School, Chanhassen, MN, they wouldn't hose anyone, would they??) has to collect withholding taxes as the value of the car is considered income to your friends at the IRS. They estimated taxes for form 1099 at $3250 (one quarter of the value of the car). However, my accountant, Mr. Madoff, says 1200 is closer to the real tax bite. So there was nothing nefarious, just a very high estimate of tax. For shipping, costs have ranged from $600 open transport via donkey cart to 1800 for armed guards. Looks like $1000 is a round number for a reputable service. I'm still looking for a Minnesotan to give the car the twice over. Cheers, larry
Old 06-10-2009, 11:52 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by larry abbott
Thanks for the replies. The deal was that the charity (legit, St. Hubert's Catholic School, Chanhassen, MN, they wouldn't hose anyone, would they??) has to collect withholding taxes as the value of the car is considered income to your friends at the IRS. They estimated taxes for form 1099 at $3250 (one quarter of the value of the car). However, my accountant, Mr. Madoff, says 1200 is closer to the real tax bite. So there was nothing nefarious, just a very high estimate of tax. For shipping, costs have ranged from $600 open transport via donkey cart to 1800 for armed guards. Looks like $1000 is a round number for a reputable service. I'm still looking for a Minnesotan to give the car the twice over. Cheers, larry

ummm yeah
Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 PM
1sweet65stang
2nd Gear Member

NADA low value is 11k so...do u have a link to the website where it was auctioned or w/e....so we can check out the pics and like specs or w/e they may have
Old 06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
larry abbott

Default '73 mustang

The organization was St. Hubert's Catholic School, Chanhassan, MN; I'm not sure if they have any photos of the car on the site. Larry
Old 06-13-2009, 10:30 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I think most of us are no where close to it.4 grand for taxes and shipping isn't that bad most of it is taxes on it.Once you get it and need any help with parts or info let me know.