Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Young and want a mustang

Old 06-14-2009, 08:09 PM
'66StangWannabe
1st Gear Member

Talking Young and want a mustang

Hi guys, I'm 16...want a '65 or '66 Mustang, of course, the parents don't agree. Anyway, I have a job and I'm saving up to get one once i'm 18.

So the max i can afford is no more than 8 grand. I have money to put down and everything. Only one peoblem....I live in the U.P. of Michigan and we get about 200"+ of snow every year and the roads are salted, so you can't find a decent condition one around here for my price.

Anyway, I would not be driving the car in winter, I have a plan to cover that. But my uestion is, would any of you buy a car out of state and have it shipped? I know you have to be really careful, but I've been checking craigslist and there are plenty of '65-'66 Mustangs in good condition that are under my spending limit.

So my main point, to find a car in my price and the condition I want, I need to buy out of state. Preferebly a southern or west coast state. How many of you have bought your cars out of state and had them shipped or even picked them up yourselves? And yes, I know all about the precautions and buying processes, I have read up on that extensively.

Thanks, Nick.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:21 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

When you get ready to buy, I would just find a few cars you are interested in from the southern states and come down to look at all of them one week or weekend. Then you could actually look at them in person. You could also bring someone with you that is either a Mustang owner that knows what to look for or just a mechanic. That would be advised so you know what your getting.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

66, I live just outside Detroit. Let me know when you're ready to start looking seriously, I can help you find one for a good price and make sure it's not one that's a waste of your money. You can get nice 65-66 coupes practically completely restored for under $5000 if you look in the right places.

Let me know. I have relatives up in the UP, eh.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:55 AM
'66StangWannabe
1st Gear Member

You guys are being real helpful (not sarcasm). And waffles, thanks for the offer on helping me when I'm ready to buy, that will come in very useful. Like I said, I've wanted a mustang since I was really young. When I do buy one, I want one that needs some work (that's the fun part about getting an old car). My main thing is to find a Stang w/o rust or one that has rust that has been professionally repaired.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:10 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

66 if you are in da U.P, I am near Marquette and I would be more than happy to help you out. As long as you arent at the other end, in Escanaba or north of Houghton, it wouldn't be a problem.

Its near impossible to find cars up here, even with rust, that are affordable. People are silly about how much they think its worth. We have had good luck with Wisconsin cars, and I could find a decent one in Nebraska or Kansas real easy. My network is still there even though I live here.

Waffles where are your relatives up here?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:47 PM
'66StangWannabe
1st Gear Member

Thumpin455, I acutally live right IN marquette. Like I said won't be until i'm 18 that I can buy a stang, but I appreciate your offer to help, I'm gonna definitely take you up on that offer when it comes time to buy.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:26 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Mine was a midwestern car and certainly had its share of rust. Unless the car is a pile of dust you can fix rust. I did. It is not that hard as long as the rails and lower shock towers are good. If you buy one that has not been fixed you at least know what you are getting and you can have a great time repairing it yourself. And these guys who offered to help you find a car know what they are doing. You couldn't get better help than them if you paid for it.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:48 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Like you've already seen there are plenty of members here that will be willing to help, if you do find a car out of state I'm sure that you'd be able to find a member in the area that would be willing to go look at it for you and determine what shape it's in. I bought my car out of state and drove to pick it up myself, I was fortunate enough find mine up in eastern Washington with no rust.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Thumpin, my relatives are near marquette somewhere; i dont know where, I've never gone to visit them.

66, let us know when you're ready. Why wait til your're 18? I'm 22 and have been through nearly a dozen classic mustangs...
Old 06-15-2009, 08:17 PM
'66StangWannabe
1st Gear Member

Waffles, yeah, gotta wait 'till i'm 18. Like I said, the parents continually lecture me on how a classic mustang is a waste of money and I need to save up every penny for my college education...first of all, a classic car can be a very wise investment, and second, the college I'm gonna go to isn't what you can call an "ivey league school."

And as far as rust, not a big deal. I know once I buy the mustang money won't be short, but I'll have to watch myself, I'm a lot better with mechanical things than body work and I know rust can be a huge pain in the *** so I prefer a stang with as little of it as possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Young and want a mustang