Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Just for something to talk about, don't hurt me!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:19 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Default Just for something to talk about, don't hurt me!

Ok... I'm not trying to start any wars here. Just for something general to talk about because I'm bored. and I was talking to a friend who is rebuilding his 83 El Camino and was messing around with some things I said.

He's putting a 350 in it... *normal for a chevy* And I made the statement "Maybe just to **** everyone off, I should put a 350 in my Stang" Now I wasn't being serious HONEST I wasn't... I then continued to say "I would catch hell from everyone if I did" He said "Yea, even the Chevy Purists would yell at you" Then I got to thinking... One of the most common Tranny swaps ford guys like to do on these classics is the 6 spd... or at least the 5 spd because they are cheaper. BUT That being said, Chevy has like 4 6spds that can be easily attained for maybe about 500-1000 Dollars, bout the cost of a standard T-5 swap... 6 Spds that came in the 90-91 Corvettes had mechanical gauge lines, not to mention the earlier T-56s I believe as well. And they tend to bolt right up to Chevy engines without much effort... And the 350s... Particularly the ones from the late 80s and early 90s can be gotten for like 500 to 600 give or take... and a good fabricator can fab up some mounts... I think there might be swap headers as well... The drive shaft alls you would probably need to do is weld a Chevy front with a Ford rear and make it's length to fit... and of course stick some gears in the rear end.

But yea... I felt the need *For what ever reason people feel the need to share stuff that they would get yelled at for* To share this bit of thinking... even if it is blasphemous and sinful thinking. But My mind tends to go into dark sinful areas such as this!... Anyone got an exorcist?

I'm still wanting a 351W... But this is one of those how can one person **** off two groups of people at the same time thought... And my problem is I tend to think TO much and TO deep into things and not leave them at just a "Putting a 350 into a classic would do it" thought... I have to go ALL in and think like above with the tranny stuff... Though still it's better then a RB30DETT... Oh Well... I'm done sharing now!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

One thing that I like about the 350 is the distributor is in the rear. I want to hide as much of my wiring as possible and having the distributor in the back would clean up the bay even more. I have been on the look out for a model A pickup to restore and rod out and I was talking to my dad who is an old mechanic and he got pissed at me when I told him I either wanted to put in a small block ford or an old flat head V8 in it. He said that all hot rods are supposed to have a 350 in them. I disagree.
A lot Chevy guys put ford 9in rear ends in their cars.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:52 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Apparently Ford makes a strong rear end... I've seen a lot of Chevy's on Speed's Passtime that say they have ford 9inchers back there.
The Thing about 350's though is that they are fairly cheap compared to 302s to make good power. And there is always contravercy on putting a chevy in a ford, or a dodge in a chevy, or a dodge in a ford or a ford in a chevy so forth and so on. But then it's the thing of... Certain people like certain things... Alot of people like Ford cars, but love chevy motors... And want to combine their loves. And a lot of people get mad for combining the two... Vehicleizm is STROOONG!... BUUUT... The only reason I would really ever go through with something like that... putting a 350 in a Mustang is to **** people off, because I know it would, could and does.

True people like to throw 350s in alot of things... but people also like to throw 302s in alot of things.. Miatas, 280zs, so forth... It's just some people are more touchy about it And Yes... As for the distributor... I had never seen a ford engine up close as I have always been around chevy Engines, so when I saw the distributor up front I was like, Holy crap... that's right there.... But I guess it does make it easier for minor tuning as you don't have to reach all the way back... but *Shrugs*
Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Performance Chevy small blocks have much stronger lower ends and weigh 100-150 lbs more than a Windsor engine, kind of like a truck motor.
Personally I think the Chevy small block is the best ever made, and if I want one I'll buy a Chevy.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

yes the ford distributor is more accessible for tuning but really how often do you need to tune your engine. I have heard that it is cheaper to work on chev motors but have no recent experience doing so.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Chevy engines not the best ever made, unless you are referring to LS engines which are far removed from the 350 that was built until 94. The aftermarket is what made chevy engines useful as performance engines, not the design of them, nor the machining. To get the chevy engine up to the same level as a most Fords, Pontiac, Olds, or Buick takes extensive machine work.

The first thing they do is modify the heads for screw in studs, All other GM engines had them from factory. Keeping the oil inside the engine is the next big thing. Since the castings are raw without machined rails for most surfaces, like the valve covers. The majority of chevy heads have small valves and weak intakes, even compared to performance oriented Fords that have restrictive exhaust ports. The reason they had less machining is simple, to make it cheaper to make them. That means they were built in large numbers for cheaply built vehicles, so they are easy to find. It doesnt mean they are a good engine. Without the aftermarket the chevy would be a truck engine and a boat anchor.

The mains have .0120" tolerance in alignment, that is HUGE! Its why performance built 350s NEED align boring to survive. The list goes on and on for things you need to do to make them live and make power, even then they still blow up regularly and wear out faster than much better designed engines.

Go ahead put a chevy in your whatever, be the same as the rest of the people who follow blindly. The street rod world really irritates me in that respect, the 350 was chosen because they could be found, not because they were the best. Using a $2500 crate 350 in a car you spent $40k building is laughable, especially when its just to fit in with the crowd...

All the guys who told me to put a 350 in my Pontiacs so I could go faster have always been at least a full second behind me, usually two. Sure you can build them to make power and live, with all aftermarket parts and you can also take a garden variety Pontiac 400 or 455 together with stock parts, make significantly more power, and get better mileage for less money. You also dont need to swap to deep gears and a loose converter with the Pontiacs, you can keep the 3.08 gears and still run bottom 12s in a 4000lb car.

Compared to a 302 Ford, well yeah usually the 350 wins, but other than the BOSS 302 and K code 289 the Ford was designed as a rather pedestrian engine with modest power, just like a stock 350, not exactly a race engine.

Millions of something does not mean it is the best, only the most numerous.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:52 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony R
He said that all hot rods are supposed to have a 350 in them.
It is mandatory for STREET RODS to have 350/350 combos,,,

HOT RODS can have a VARIETY of cool engines,,,,,

My 39 Ford has a 351/408 Ford (M/F influence!), but all in all, now, I kind of regret not using a "cooler, more rare" engine like a LYB or an old Olds rocket engine, etc... But the path is charted at this point...

Over the years I was a "Chevy Guy", but even then, I thought 350s (ALL SBCs) were just a little too common to be cool, way back when, my 39 had a BBC before they were "cool" to have.

Save the SBCs for Chevys and other period correct GM cars.... period,,,, IMO anyway...
Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 PM
kelly3027

Sounds like a buncha crap to me. Do you really believe that custom car builders with real deep pockets put SB Chevy motors in those cars because you can get them cheap? Truck engines? Wow, what color is the sky in your world? Kelly.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:23 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

wow, didn't know it took so much to keep a high po 350 alive. learn something new everyday!

True though 350s weren't just in trucks, they were in camaros firebirds and corvettes had 350 based engines and afew other cars. Though they more so were put in trucks...

Last edited by 68MustangCoupe; 07-22-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:10 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Persanally I hate seeing an awesome old 30s Ford with corvette valve covers. Thats just about the worst.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just for something to talk about, don't hurt me!