Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

GOOD LORD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:34 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I can see what you mean. But I like the newer belts with the retractor like most cars these days have. In my opinion this is how they should be. Oh, and those stupid automatic belts that some of the imports had several years ago were the worst. I'm talking about the ones that had the auto shoulder belt and then you had to actully put on the lap belt. That was the worst design I have seen, because alot of people didn't buckle the lap part so all they had was the shoulder belt. I've also seen them break and slide forward in the track during a crash. Those should have been recalled.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It must have been a little bit "luck of the draw" that let me never have to cope with either separately attached shoulder belts or the "mad mouse" automatic ones. Although I suspect that the automatic ones would have annoyed either me or my wife badly enough on a single test drive to remove any car so equipped from consideration.

Norm
Old 07-31-2009, 04:36 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy
I believe mustangs mid-1968 and up all had shoulder restraints... at least the coupes/fastbacks did. Even though they use two separate buckles to do it I feel very safe in it.

I still want to upgrade to retractable 3 points though, just more convenient and I don't have to give a 2-minute lesson on how to put on the seat belts for every new person that comes in my car.
Come on, giving lessons to all people can't be that bad, especially those of the fairer sex. Think about it
Old 07-31-2009, 04:52 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by remicks
Come on, giving lessons to all people can't be that bad, especially those of the fairer sex. Think about it
hahaha very true, but a girlfriend ruins that

I guess if a girl can't figure it out though I could rule them out as a "keeper" haha
Old 07-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

I believe in every extra safety feature i can have. I have seen a post of a ~'66 that hit an abuttment or something head on and it did push the steering column in and up, the bottom of the wheel was bent back and the column was pointed at a 45* angle towards the roof. The driver survived with a broken jaw, and various facial/neck injuries but he survived, it really upsets me when people say 'you'll probably die anyway' I'm not writing myself off that easily, I guess they don't use jack stands when using a hydraulic jack either? why would you if the cars gonna fall it'll probably kill you anyway right. It reminds me of the people who say 'you're gonna die of something' but they do everything to expedite it.

I can tell you've I've seen many accidents in a previous line of work and often heard after the investigation 'he would have survived with a seatbelt, helmet, etc.' and I will take every step I can afford to survive but that's just me.

End of rant, my mods to date are pulling my '67 spear and replacing with a '68-'69 collapseable, foxbody seats with highback and headrests.

Next up as the car is apart are power front disc brakes and 3 point belts. I am looking at gotbelts as they have 3pt. retractable that have chrome buckles that look '60's stock with an 8" sash drop to put the retention point just above/behind my shoulder as read on restraint websites (simpson, etc.). I took out a rearview mirror with my face on a '70FB I had 20+ years ago as someone had removed the shoulder belts and I only had lap, won't do that again. I will also be installing a plate behind the rear seat and probably an 'armor plate' above the gas tank to avoid it being able to empty into the passenger compartment on rear impact. Don't think this doesn't happen with newer cars either, I lost a fried that was rear ended in his ~'99 Crown Vic and the tank emptied into the interior burning him severly, he lived <30 days before succumbing to his burns so it still happens with newer cars.
Stay safe,
Jon
Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

I added the three point belts to mine and if I were going to use it as a DD then I would add some seats with a head rest and convert the brakes to disc.

However, I honestly believe that when your number is up then it is up and there isn't much that can be done.

I knew a guy that was in a wreck with his girlfriend one time. They somehow hit a tree basically. She was wearing a belt (probably saved her life) but the fact he was not wearing a belt saved his life. He was thrown through the windshield and when the dust cleared the drivers seat where he was sitting was pretty much shredded metal. No doubt in my mind that if he had still been in his seat he would have been dead. In his case he was very lucky that he was ejected from the car.

I have seen some people do so really stupid / crazy stuff and live to tell about it and then seen other people get killed walking down the street minding their own business. So I don't take excessive risks but also don't worry about it. I'm convinced when it's your time to go then it is just your time.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:32 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I agree with that. I think when your time is up its up.

I know a girl that died because she was wearing a seatbelt. I also know people that lived because they were not wearing one. I'm not advocating not wearing one, but.....
Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Joe1967
2nd Gear Member

my dad normally never wears a seat belt,

but every accident he's ever been in he's had it on.

so every time he puts the seat belt on he gets hit... bad luck much?