Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Brushed my RIM!

Old 07-31-2009, 06:45 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Default Brushed my RIM!

SOOO!! I found out my Rims AREN'T aluminum... just polished Steel meaning THEY RUST. YAY me... Well I was bored... As usual I'm always bored. I went out and tried a few things I've read here and there... Foil... Didn't work... So I tried Brass-Shine... it worked for stained aluminum platters I figured I'd give it a try... NO GO!... So I got sand paper and said screw it! and sanded it abit... then figured Hell... Someone already did a half assed paint job on the inner spokes painting them white, which is already starting to rub off.

SOO! I started sanding and decided Hell might as well practice brushing! *Thinking about making some custom brushed interior parts* The Rim is pitted where the rust is, and is discolored in those areas.

Heres the Untouched Rear wheel

AND The brushed Front wheel

I Know the outcome would probably be better if I started with NON-polished steel but... EH... It looks moderately alright in my eyes for a first time ever job...

Note: These are cheap rims so I've been told. Also they are Old and rusted so I'm not weary about doing the brush job as I will eventually buy new Rims.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:07 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

POR-15 the hell out of them, never rust again. Completely unnecessary and impractical but cool.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:12 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by remicks
POR-15 the hell out of them, never rust again. Completely unnecessary and impractical but cool.
lol True. Unnecessary but as I said... Bored... and I do stupid things when I'm bored. And as I said as well... I plan to buy new ones eventually anyway... Would POR-15 take the rust already on them Off, with little trouble?
Old 08-01-2009, 02:35 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

no, POR-15 means Paint Over Rust, it's meant to be painted over rust to seal and contain it.

the brushed job you did looks good though, what grit sandpaper did you use.

but just fyi next time if you just want to shine up some rims take some fine steel wool to it...
Old 08-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Paint the spokes and polish the rims. Argent, Silver, Grey or Black for the center is OK, but body color is hit or miss. It could look hokey unless it's Wimbledon White (matching the car).

JMO,

CP

Last edited by Carlos Pineiro; 08-01-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:20 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Yeah, for chrome wheels like that use fine steel wool like 0000. If they were alumium they would not have rusted they just would have turned color sorta like gold and become really dull. By the way, I hate bare aluminum wheels. I had one set and never again. They are way to hard to keep looking good.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

That wasn't chrome? :O
Old 08-01-2009, 03:35 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

...Well... If it Actually WAS chrome and not REALLY Polished Steel... *Steel rusts yes?...* Then I will just get the rust off and Find a Chromer and get them Re-Chromed...

As for the Grit.. lol I used like 250 Grit... then Used 80 Grit, then 250 again Went in one direction around the rim =P

And as for the center... I did NOT paint them. of the the Previous Owners did... by which it was a sloppy job being as the shiny metal is coming from underneath meaning he didnt' even scuff it up so the paint would stick...

And the Brushed look lol... I guess If I decide to make it shiny again later REALLY Fine fine grit sandpaper will get the brushed look away? Being if I had to do that before Chroming?

BUT.. I would like to ask this... Chroming would be a waste anyway being as the rust has caused pitting in the wall.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 68MustangCoupe
...Well... If it Actually WAS chrome and not REALLY Polished Steel... *Steel rusts yes?...* Then I will just get the rust off and Find a Chromer and get them Re-Chromed...

As for the Grit.. lol I used like 250 Grit... then Used 80 Grit, then 250 again Went in one direction around the rim =P

And as for the center... I did NOT paint them. of the the Previous Owners did... by which it was a sloppy job being as the shiny metal is coming from underneath meaning he didnt' even scuff it up so the paint would stick...

And the Brushed look lol... I guess If I decide to make it shiny again later REALLY Fine fine grit sandpaper will get the brushed look away? Being if I had to do that before Chroming?

BUT.. I would like to ask this... Chroming would be a waste anyway being as the rust has caused pitting in the wall.
I would go get a pack of multi-grade steel wool. It's really cheap and you usually get "coarse, medium, and fine"

Start with the coarse, then the medium, and finally the fine and you should be pretty polished. If you want to get even shinier, then you'll want grade 0000 steel wool.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:14 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
I would go get a pack of multi-grade steel wool. It's really cheap and you usually get "coarse, medium, and fine"

Start with the coarse, then the medium, and finally the fine and you should be pretty polished. If you want to get even shinier, then you'll want grade 0000 steel wool.
I assume it will also get the rust off?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brushed my RIM!