Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

brakes just gave out while at a light??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:11 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

Default brakes just gave out while at a light??

i was stopped at a traffic light on a downhill. then i noticed that the brake pedal just started to go in further even though i didnt apply any more pressure. i just started rolling forward. then i freaked out and didnt know what to do, slammed it in reverse and squealed 4 ft backwards.!!!!!!!!! i looked like an idiot. didnt hit anybody though. does anyone know what the problem is. i have no idead about brakes.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:17 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by phish
i was stopped at a traffic light on a downhill. then i noticed that the brake pedal just started to go in further even though i didnt apply any more pressure. i just started rolling forward. then i freaked out and didnt know what to do, slammed it in reverse and squealed 4 ft backwards.!!!!!!!!! i looked like an idiot. didnt hit anybody though. does anyone know what the problem is. i have no idead about brakes.
Did you check fluid?... Air in the lines... no brake pressure... line broke? Master Cylinder needs replacing?...
Old 08-01-2009, 06:23 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

i have no idea where to check brake fluid. just got the 65 coupe. i have no idea about engines. i just had to have it.....
Old 08-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Gun Jam

its a bit late now but the e-brake is located by your left leg under the dash.

probably a shot master cylinder or failed slave cylinder...check the inside face and inside wall of each wheel and tire. do you see any oil on any of them?

Open the hood and check master cylinder on drivers side firewall. any oil leaking from it. It has a round screw cap on it

-Gun
Old 08-01-2009, 07:28 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

i dont see any leaking fluid anywhere. i know its a single cylinder. do i need a double?? it has fluid in it?? what color should it be
Old 08-01-2009, 07:30 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

are the ebrake and regular brake the same unit??
Old 08-01-2009, 07:45 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

e-brake = emergency brake, it's connected mechanically to your rear wheels. Your regular brakes are much differnt, all four corners and pressure is applied through the pedal which forces fluid into the brake cylinders which push the pads on either the disc or drum to slow down the car. It's your regular brakes that failed somehow, if you had applied the e-brake you could have stopped with your rear brakes.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:54 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

If the pedal just sunk to the floor, and there are no puddles under the car from a broken line or hose, it is your master cylinder. They arent terribly expensive, but do take some knowledge to replace.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:56 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

if i get into the car now and push brakes they are nice and stiff as usual. it was when i was stopped for a minute or so with the car running and brake being applied did it seem to lose "pressure"?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:09 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by phish
if i get into the car now and push brakes they are nice and stiff as usual. it was when i was stopped for a minute or so with the car running and brake being applied did it seem to lose "pressure"?
OH OH!... Point in your story! YOU WERE ON A HILL!... You probably lost pressure because you're low on Fluid! Putting you at an angle made it so it went to one side and was unable to get enough fluid... Perhaps?... Maybe?... Yes?....

Quick Reply: brakes just gave out while at a light??