Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

fitting wheels on classic mustangs

Old 11-10-2009, 05:30 PM
1966_gt

Default this is the car.

thought it would give you a better idea of what im putting them under.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:28 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

That looks like a nice 66.

I think that personally, I would go with 17x8 on all 4 corners.

What part of TX are you in? I'm near Austin.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1966_gt
im just trying to get the most advice before i make any movement. i dont care what size goes under but i do want it to haul and look good while doing it.
Sounds like "stock" is not a good frame of reference for the rest of us to use in trying to figure out how serious this might end up going. Here's a 1966 with 11's up front and 13's in the rear . . . it's been tagged with the name "Muttstang" for a reason.

There was a huge amount of work done, as detailed in THIS REALLY HUGE THREAD.

Where, between Original Stock and the above do you wish to end up?

Norm
Old 11-11-2009, 09:18 AM
1966_gt

thank you, and im from around dallas. my sister lives near lake travis so i am familiar with austin. beautiful place.

my plans right now are wheels and cobra R exhaust pipes. beacuase im in college i cant really spend all my money on a car when i have other priorities ya know? not sure what mods i will do to the engine. any advice from you?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

20's will fit.There is no need to to mini tub when using a 20X8.5.I have seen more and more, some look good becasue of the drop and others are stock height and look horrible.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:51 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

That fastback looks good, but the wheels look like hell!

It looks stupid and disproportional when you cant even see the top of the wheel.

Where is the gas cap? Don't tell me they put a door on the quarter panel for it.

I think that picture is taken at Heat Wave here in Austin. Its all rediculous bagged Diesel trucks and import tuner crap. All that show is about is bling and stereo junk. So, with those wheels, it fits right in.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 11-12-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:03 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1966_gt
thank you, and im from around dallas. my sister lives near lake travis so i am familiar with austin. beautiful place.

my plans right now are wheels and cobra R exhaust pipes. beacuase im in college i cant really spend all my money on a car when i have other priorities ya know? not sure what mods i will do to the engine. any advice from you?
What do you mean by Cobra R exhaust pipes?

Lake Travis is beautiful.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 AM
1966_gt

pipes that come out infront of the back tire. youtube it if you want to hear them. will make ur mouth water.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
20's will fit.There is no need to to mini tub when using a 20X8.5.I have seen more and more, some look good becasue of the drop and others are stock height and look horrible.
I suppose it looks good as a piece of static metal sculpture if you like the "tucked" look, but that look strongly suggests that it fails as a usable CAR. I doubt that you could execute a right turn on neighborhood streets without encroaching into the oncoming lanes and/or getting tire rub. My son's International sleeper cab tractor can almost certainly do better when he's dropped the trailer and running 'bobtail'.

For some reason, people get all sorts of blinded when it comes to appearance vs function. There is some room in the middle, assuming that you might want to occasionally drive the thing on the public streets, and a car that you have to be overly careful with or is excessively clumsy is a car that stays home in the driveway/garage.

I never liked the 50's "bathtub upside down covering narrow-track wheels" look or fender skirts either. "Tucked" is the same thing, just that after 50 years somebody finally gave it a name.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-12-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
That fastback looks good, but the wheels look like hell!

It looks stupid and disproportional when you cant even see the top of the wheel.

Where is the gas cap? Don't tell me they put a door on the quarter panel for it.

I think that picture is taken at Heat Wave here in Austin. Its all rediculous bagged Diesel trucks and import tuner crap. All that show is about is bling and stereo junk. So, with those wheels, it fits right in.
Why do you want to see the top of the wheel? It has nothing to do with being "proprtional" to the car.

Norm, the car is bagged so the dropped stance is only for shows.ANY bagged car will not drive,that is pretty much obvious.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fitting wheels on classic mustangs