Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

1968 Mustang Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:30 PM
madamsmusic

Default 1968 Mustang Transmission

I have recently purchased a 1968 Mustang Coupe that had been sitting outside for about three years, not being driven. I am restoring the car (my first time), starting with getting her running again.

My question comes from the atuomatic transmission. When I put the car in "drive," it very clearly will not shift out of first gear with a maximum of 25-30 MPH. However, if I put the car in "2nd," I cannot feel the car shift but it is either starting in a higher gear or shifting up to a higher gear (even though I cannot feel/hear it shift) because I can drive up to 50-55 MPH. After this the engine runs really high and will not shift to a higher gear.

I have tried to lightly let up on the foot pedal to see if it would shift either before or after I attempted to accelerate again, but to no avail. Obviously I would LOVE to not purchase a new transmission, but am completely clueless as to what to check/try to fix this one. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Please help a first timer!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:00 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Check the line going from the carb/manifold to the vacuum modulator, its a round thing sticking out the passenger side of the trans. It should be connected to full manifold vacuum, not a port that has vacuum only after the throttle is opened. You can check the port by starting the engine, if it pulls on your finger, at idle then it will probably work.

The modulator line uses a couple inches of rubber line to connect the steel line to both the trans and the engine.

Second thing to check is the detent linkage, it should be connected to the throttle linkage or the accelerator pedal and then to a lever hanging down near where the shifter connects, It should move freely with the throttle.

If either of these things arent connected, you wont get a shift in the right place or at all. The other thing would be the governor but you would have to take a few things apart to replace that. Check the other two first.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:13 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by madamsmusic
I have recently purchased a 1968 Mustang Coupe that had been sitting outside for about three years, not being driven. I am restoring the car (my first time), starting with getting her running again.

My question comes from the atuomatic transmission. When I put the car in "drive," it very clearly will not shift out of first gear with a maximum of 25-30 MPH. However, if I put the car in "2nd," I cannot feel the car shift but it is either starting in a higher gear or shifting up to a higher gear (even though I cannot feel/hear it shift) because I can drive up to 50-55 MPH. After this the engine runs really high and will not shift to a higher gear.

I have tried to lightly let up on the foot pedal to see if it would shift either before or after I attempted to accelerate again, but to no avail. Obviously I would LOVE to not purchase a new transmission, but am completely clueless as to what to check/try to fix this one. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Please help a first timer!
Most automatic transmissions will start out in second gear when the gear shifter is in second gear. That is why you aren't feeling an upshift to second, because you are already there. What happens if you put the shifter in 1st gear and manually upshift through the gears as you drive?